Help Interpeting Mathematica Result

In summary, The conversation is discussing how to interpret the 1.1, x.1, and y.1 terms in a solution. It is suggested to remove the Dot[] if a vector derivative is not intended. If symbolic vector derivatives are desired, it is noted that Mathematica does not know how to handle them. An example of working out the derivative of the equation is shown, using the 1's as Identity matrices / Kronecker Delta's. The final solution is written in vector/matrix form and can be checked in Mathematica for any particular dimension.
pholvey
Hi everyone,

Given the attached input and result, I'm confused as to how to interpret the 1.1, x.1, and y.1 terms in the solution. Does this mean I'm supposed to dot 1 into 1? How does that work? Any help is appreciated. Of course, x and y are vectors (not that it matters but they're xyz coordinates). Thanks for any help!

pholvey

Attachments

• wolframalpha-20110404201702553.gif
    wolframalpha-20110404201702553.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean to have a vector derivative or are x and y scalars (normal variables)?

If you don't, then remove the Dot[] - ie type "x y" or "x*y" instead of "x.y".

If you do mean to have symbolic vector derivatives, then you're in trouble, because Mathematica does't know how to do that for arbitrary n-dimensional vectors.

Hey Simon,

Ya, I did mean to have symbolic vector derivatives. Unfortunate that Mathematica doesn't know how to handle them...

Just for kicks though, how would you go about working out the derivative of the equation as it is shown in the attachment?

Well, if you interpret the 1's as Identity matrices / Kronecker Delta's, then it's basically correct.

Let's drop the extranious stuff and just take the derivative
ans = ∂xy(x.y + c)2
where ∂x is the partial derivative with respect to x and c is a constant.

So,
ansij = ∂xiyj(x.y + c)2
ansij = 2 ∂xi(xj(x.y + c))
ansij = 2 δij(x.y + c) + 2 y_i x_j

Written in vector/matrix form this is
ans = 2 I (x.y+c) + 2 y xT
where I is the identity matrix and y xT is one way of writing the outer product.

You can check this in Mathematica for any particular dimension using something like

Code:
In[1]:= With[{n = 14},
          X = Array[x, {n}];
          Y = Array[y, {n}];
          II = IdentityMatrix[n];]

In[2]:= D[(X.Y + c)^2, {X}, {Y}] == 2 (II (X.Y + c) + {Y}\[Transpose].{X}) // Expand

Out[2]= True

Last edited:

1. What are the steps to interpreting a Mathematica result?

The first step is to understand the context of the problem and what the result represents. Then, carefully examine the output and any associated graphs or plots. Next, check for any error messages or warnings. Finally, compare the result to any known solutions or expected outcomes.

2. How do I know if my Mathematica result is accurate?

The best way to ensure accuracy is to check your work and the input parameters. If possible, try to verify the result with a different method or tool. Additionally, consider the precision and accuracy settings in your Mathematica calculations.

3. Can I modify the formatting of my Mathematica result?

Yes, Mathematica allows for customizable formatting of output using various options and functions. These can include changing the appearance of numbers, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the layout of tables and graphs.

4. How can I export my Mathematica result to another format?

Mathematica has built-in functions for exporting results to various file formats such as image files, text files, and even interactive web documents. These functions can be accessed through the "File" menu or by using the Export command.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about the meaning of my Mathematica result?

If you are unsure about the meaning of your result, it is best to consult the Mathematica documentation or seek help from other resources such as online forums or colleagues. Additionally, double-checking your input and assumptions can also help in understanding the result.