1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Linear Algebra transformations, is my understanding correct?

1. Aug 8, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I would like to check if my understanding of this linear algebra problem dealing with transformations is correct:

vovcp4.png

Part (1)

we have the following coordinates systems:

[tex] \tilde{x} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] x = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{x}^T \tilde{A} \tilde{x} = 0 [/tex]

This parts only asks for getting the A matrix (symmetric matrix with coefficients) from a quadratic curve. Taking a look at the final parts of the problem, I guess this part is some sort of coordinates change from [tex] \tilde{x} \rightarrow x [/tex] using a matrix A, is this right? (like some sort of 3D-2D transformation)

Part (2)

[tex] x = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] y = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] x = Py [/tex]

My thoughts: The equation in (i) corresponds to a quadratic curve, which has been rotated (it has a cross product term) and translated (it has terms y1^2, y1). In this part we want to transform (i) into (ii). In this transformation we undo the rotation (by rotating) and the matrix used is for it is P, transforming x coords into y coords.

Part (3)

[tex] y = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] z = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

My thoughts: The equation in (ii) corresponds to a quadratic curve, which has been translated (it only has terms y1^2, y1). In this part we want to transform (ii) into (iii). In this transformation we undo the translation (by translating), with an equation like this:

[tex] z = y + M [/tex]

transforming coords y into coords z.

Part (4.A)

[tex] z = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] \tilde{z} = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{z}^T \tilde{B} \tilde{z} = 0 [/tex]

This parts looks like part 1, getting the matrix from a quadratic curve. Taking a look at the rest of the parts of the problem, I guess this part is a coordinates change from [tex] z \rightarrow \tilde{z} [/tex] using a matrix B, is this right?

Part (4.B)

[tex] \tilde{z} = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] \tilde{x} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{x} = \tilde{Q} \tilde{z} [/tex]

This part is the composite transformation from (i), using coords [tex] \tilde{x} [/tex] to (iii) using coords [tex] \tilde{z} [/tex]. So composing all transformations from the previous parts into one, my guess is that :

[tex] \tilde{Q} = ((\tilde{A} P) + M)\tilde{B} [/tex]

would this be ok?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You want
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 & x_2 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= x_1^2+ x_2^2- 6x_1x_2+ 2x_1+ 4x_2+ \frac{15}{9}[/tex]
    That gives you a number of equations for a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, and i.

4. Aug 8, 2010 #3
    Thanks for your reply!

Yes... I already got the values for a-i. What are you trying to say ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook