Help Linear Algebra transformations, is my understanding correct?

In summary: That gives you a number of equations for a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, and i. In summary, the problem involves transforming between different coordinate systems using matrices to solve for coefficients in a quadratic curve equation. Part 1 asks for the A matrix, part 2 involves undoing a rotation and translation, part 3 involves undoing a
degs2k4
Hello,

I would like to check if my understanding of this linear algebra problem dealing with transformations is correct:

vovcp4.png

Part (1)

we have the following coordinates systems:

[tex] \tilde{x} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] x = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{x}^T \tilde{A} \tilde{x} = 0 [/tex]

This parts only asks for getting the A matrix (symmetric matrix with coefficients) from a quadratic curve. Taking a look at the final parts of the problem, I guess this part is some sort of coordinates change from [tex] \tilde{x} \rightarrow x [/tex] using a matrix A, is this right? (like some sort of 3D-2D transformation) Part (2)

[tex] x = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] y = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] x = Py [/tex]

My thoughts: The equation in (i) corresponds to a quadratic curve, which has been rotated (it has a cross product term) and translated (it has terms y1^2, y1). In this part we want to transform (i) into (ii). In this transformation we undo the rotation (by rotating) and the matrix used is for it is P, transforming x coords into y coords.

Part (3)

[tex] y = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] z = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

My thoughts: The equation in (ii) corresponds to a quadratic curve, which has been translated (it only has terms y1^2, y1). In this part we want to transform (ii) into (iii). In this transformation we undo the translation (by translating), with an equation like this:

[tex] z = y + M [/tex]

transforming coords y into coords z. Part (4.A)

[tex] z = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] \tilde{z} = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{z}^T \tilde{B} \tilde{z} = 0 [/tex]

This parts looks like part 1, getting the matrix from a quadratic curve. Taking a look at the rest of the parts of the problem, I guess this part is a coordinates change from [tex] z \rightarrow \tilde{z} [/tex] using a matrix B, is this right? Part (4.B)

[tex] \tilde{z} = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] \tilde{x} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{x} = \tilde{Q} \tilde{z} [/tex]

This part is the composite transformation from (i), using coords [tex] \tilde{x} [/tex] to (iii) using coords [tex] \tilde{z} [/tex]. So composing all transformations from the previous parts into one, my guess is that :

[tex] \tilde{Q} = ((\tilde{A} P) + M)\tilde{B} [/tex]

would this be ok?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...

Physics news on Phys.org
degs2k4 said:
Hello,

I would like to check if my understanding of this linear algebra problem dealing with transformations is correct:

vovcp4.png

Part (1)

[tex] \tilde{x} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] x = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{x}^T \tilde{A} \tilde{x} = 0 [/tex]

This parts only asks for getting the A matrix (symmetric matrix with coefficients) from a quadratic curve. Taking a look at the final parts of the problem, I guess this part is some sort of coordinates change from [tex] \tilde{x} \rightarrow x [/tex] using a matrix A, is this right? (like some sort of 3D-2D transformation)
You want
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 & x_2 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= x_1^2+ x_2^2- 6x_1x_2+ 2x_1+ 4x_2+ \frac{15}{9}[/tex]
That gives you a number of equations for a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, and i.

Part (2)

[tex] x = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] y = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] x = Py [/tex]

My thoughts: The equation in (i) corresponds to a quadratic curve, which has been rotated (it has a cross product term) and translated (it has terms y1^2, y1). In this part we want to transform (i) into (ii). In this transformation we undo the rotation (by rotating) and the matrix used is for it is P, transforming x coords into y coords.

Part (3)

[tex] y = \begin{pmatrix} y_1 \\ y_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] z = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

My thoughts: The equation in (ii) corresponds to a quadratic curve, which has been translated (it only has terms y1^2, y1). In this part we want to transform (ii) into (iii). In this transformation we undo the translation (by translating), with an equation like this:

[tex] z = y + M [/tex]

transforming coords y into coords z.

Part (4.A)

[tex] z = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] \tilde{z} = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{z}^T \tilde{B} \tilde{z} = 0 [/tex]

This parts looks like part 1, getting the matrix from a quadratic curve. Taking a look at the rest of the parts of the problem, I guess this part is a coordinates change from [tex] z \rightarrow \tilde{z} [/tex] using a matrix B, is this right?

Part (4.B)

[tex] \tilde{z} = \begin{pmatrix} z_1 \\ z_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex] and [tex] \tilde{x} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

and the following equation : [tex] \tilde{x} = \tilde{Q} \tilde{z} [/tex]

This part is the composite transformation from (i), using coords [tex] \tilde{x} [/tex] to (iii) using coords [tex] \tilde{z} [/tex]. So composing all transformations from the previous parts into one, my guess is that :

[tex] \tilde{Q} = ((\tilde{A} P) + M)\tilde{B} [/tex]

would this be ok?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post...

HallsofIvy said:
You want
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x_1 & x_2 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= x_1^2+ x_2^2- 6x_1x_2+ 2x_1+ 4x_2+ \frac{15}{9}[/tex]
That gives you a number of equations for a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, and i.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes... I already got the values for a-i. What are you trying to say ?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, and systems of linear equations.

2. What are linear transformations?

Linear transformations are functions that map one vector space to another in a way that preserves the basic structure of the space. They are used to describe the relationships between different vector spaces and to solve systems of linear equations.

3. How do linear algebra transformations help in real-world applications?

Linear algebra transformations have a wide range of applications in fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, and engineering. They can be used to model and analyze real-world systems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. Is my understanding of linear algebra transformations correct?

To determine if your understanding is correct, it is important to have a good grasp of the basic concepts and properties of linear algebra transformations. You can test your understanding by solving practice problems and seeking feedback from a teacher or tutor.

5. What are some common challenges in understanding linear algebra transformations?

Some common challenges in understanding linear algebra transformations include grasping the abstract nature of vector spaces, understanding the geometric interpretations of linear transformations, and applying the concepts to real-world problems. It is important to practice and seek help when facing these challenges.