Help me A spinning blue plastic object made me sleepless.

In summary, the conversation was about a spinning blue plastic object that caused the individual to have trouble sleeping. The object was seen in a MIT online video course on classical mechanics, where the teacher demonstrated its ability to spin, stop, and then spin in reverse without any external force. The object was identified as a rattleback, a toy that has a unique ability to spin in one direction and then reverse its spin. The individual was curious as to why this happened, but it was explained that there is nothing mysterious about it. The conversation ended with a suggestion to purchase the rattleback from Edmund Scientific, where it is sold as "Space Pets."
ltd5241
Help me!A spinning blue plastic object made me sleepless.

I've seen the mit online vedio course Physics I: Classical Mechanics Lecture 21 Torques, Oscillating Bodies,near the end 44:19.There is a spinning blue plastic object,the teacher spun it, it revolved then it stoped,then it revolved reversely without any other force!
link:http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/detail/embed21.htm
WHY?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

That is weird.

Haven't seen the video, but it sounds like a rattleback:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattleback

Nifty little toy. However, nothing really mysterious about it.

MATLABdude said:
Haven't seen the video, but it sounds like a rattleback:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattleback

Nifty little toy. However, nothing really mysterious about it.

Thank you! That's it.Rattleback.

Related to Help me A spinning blue plastic object made me sleepless.

1. What is a spinning blue plastic object?

A spinning blue plastic object refers to any object made of plastic that is spinning or rotating. It can be a toy, a device, or any other object that has a blue color and is made of plastic.

2. How can a spinning blue plastic object make someone sleepless?

It is possible that the spinning motion of the object can cause visual stimulation and disrupt the brain's normal sleep patterns. Additionally, if the object makes noise or emits light, it can also contribute to sleeplessness.

3. Is it normal to be sleepless because of a spinning blue plastic object?

It is not abnormal to experience sleeplessness due to a spinning blue plastic object. However, if it becomes a regular occurrence and significantly impacts your sleep, it may be worth looking into the underlying cause.

4. Can a spinning blue plastic object have any negative effects on health?

The spinning motion of the object may cause dizziness or headaches, especially if it has bright lights or makes loud noises. Other than that, there are typically no long-term negative effects on health.

5. What can I do to stop being sleepless because of a spinning blue plastic object?

If the object is causing sleeplessness, it is best to remove it from your sleeping environment or find a way to turn it off. You can also try using white noise or wearing an eye mask to block out any lights or sounds from the object.