Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help me choose an arbitrary precision program

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a crosspost from General Math; I wasn't sure what place was more appropriate.

I'm looking for a tool to solve a problem I've been working on. In particular, I want something that implements subquadratic trig functions -- in my case I'm looking for the tangent. I've been using Pari, but its tangent routine seems to be [itex]\mathcal{O}(n^2)[/itex] or [itex]\mathcal{O}(n^2\log n)[/itex] based on timing, and for high precision this simply takes too long. 10,000 digits in Pari takes half a second, but 100,000 takes more than a minute, and ten million takes over a week, which isn't feasible.

Any suggestions? Can anyone test their preferred platform (Math'ca, Maple, etc.) to see how long these take? I was testing tan(1) if you want comparability. I tested Maxima, but it seemed to be inappropriate for the task: it uses an [itex]\mathcal{O}(n^2\log n)\textrm{-ish}[/itex] algorithm, and took at least 30 times longer than Pari.

I could use a stand-alone system like Mathematica or a library, whatever I can find. I will need programming ability (too many problems to type by hand), but that shouldn't be hard to find.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted