Help me convert Boltzmann distribution/partition function into Geometric series

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the fractions of particles in the ν = 3 energy level for different values of the ratio e/kT in a harmonic oscillator system. The Boltzmann distribution and partition function are used to solve the problem, but the difficulty lies in expressing the equation as an infinite series. The provided geometric series does not result in sensible answers and the sum of an infinite GP may be helpful in finding a suitable expression.
asdfTT123

Homework Statement

3. The following calculaltion shows how the ratio of e to kT affects the
populations of different energy levels. kT is sometimes called the thermal
energy; if it is small relative to e, a particle will not be able to access higher
energy states.
Consider a harmonic oscillator with spacing νe/kT between energy levels, where
ν can take on the values 0, 1, 2, etc.Calculate the fraction of particles in the ν = 3
energy level for e/kT = 4, 1, and 0.2.

Note: The definition of a harmonic oscillator is that the energy levels are equally spaced so the spacing between energy levels is identical.

Homework Equations

The only equations you need for this is the Boltzmann distribution and partition function,

Boltzmann Distribution:
ni/N = e^(-eiB)/z

z = Partition function = summation of e^(-eiB)

B= 1/kT

k = Boltzmann constant = 1.381e-23 J/K

(Sorry for the poor notation but you can look these up online)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to do this problem and how to set it up, but the problem here is I don't know how to express the expression as an infinite series.

For example, let's say e/kT = 1:

ni/N = e^(-3 * 1)/(1 + e^(-1) + e^(-2) + e^(-3)...)

My professor says the equation can be expressed in the following geometric series:

1/(1 - e^(-e/kT))

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work because it doesn't result in sensible answers. Does anyone here know how to correctly express it in terms of a series? I realize my explanation is rather hazy but please consult this pdf (problem #3) for more information...you will see if you use his series you will not get the answers he has listed

http://ded.chm.jhu.edu/~pchem/AnswerKeys/Resources/HW Wk13 Ans.pdf

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the sum of an infinite GP? (Don't put constants equal to 1; sometimes it becomes difficult afterwards to see exactly where to put it back.)

The Boltzmann distribution and partition function can indeed be expressed as a geometric series. The key is to recognize that the summation in the partition function is a geometric series with a common ratio of e^(-1/kT). This can be written as:

z = 1 + e^(-1/kT) + e^(-2/kT) + e^(-3/kT) + ...

Using the formula for the sum of a geometric series, this can be simplified to:

z = 1/(1 - e^(-1/kT))

Substituting this into the Boltzmann distribution equation, we get:

ni/N = e^(-ei/kT)/(1/(1 - e^(-1/kT)))

Simplifying further, we get:

ni/N = e^(-ei/kT) * (1 - e^(-1/kT))

This can also be written as:

ni/N = e^(-ei/kT) - e^(-ei/kT - 1/kT)

This expression can be used to calculate the fraction of particles in the ν = 3 energy level for different values of e/kT. For example, for e/kT = 4, ni/N = e^(-3*4) - e^(-3*4 - 1/4) = 0.000123.

I hope this helps clarify how the Boltzmann distribution and partition function can be expressed as a geometric series.

1. What is the Boltzmann distribution/partition function?

The Boltzmann distribution/partition function is a mathematical expression used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It takes into account the energy levels of the particles and the temperature of the system.

2. How is the Boltzmann distribution/partition function related to the geometric series?

The Boltzmann distribution/partition function can be converted into a geometric series when the energy levels of the particles are evenly spaced. This is because the geometric series formula is used to sum the infinite terms in the partition function.

3. Can you explain the steps to convert the Boltzmann distribution/partition function into a geometric series?

To convert the Boltzmann distribution/partition function into a geometric series, you need to first express the partition function as a sum of terms. Then, you can use the formula for a geometric series to simplify the expression and obtain a closed-form solution.

4. Are there any limitations to converting the Boltzmann distribution/partition function into a geometric series?

Yes, the conversion is only applicable when the energy levels of the particles are evenly spaced. This is often the case for simple systems, but it may not hold for more complex systems.

5. How is the geometric series useful in understanding the behavior of particles in a system?

The geometric series provides a way to calculate the average energy of particles in a system at thermal equilibrium. It also helps in understanding how the energy levels of particles are distributed and how they are affected by changes in temperature. This information is crucial for studying the thermodynamic properties of a system.