How do calculate the prob of being in a state in therm eq?

In summary, using the Boltzmann factor and the principle of equally likely microstates, the probabilities ##p_1##, ##p_2##, ##p_3## of being in each energy level for a pore in thermal equilibrium with the surroundings at temperature T are ##\frac{1}{3}##, ##\frac{1}{3}##, and ##\frac{1}{3}##, respectively.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

A pore has three configurations with the energy levels shown. The pore is in thermal equilibrium with the surroundings at temperature T . Find the probabilities ##p_1##, ##p_2##, ##p_3## of being in each level. Each level has only one microstate associated with it.

Also, state 1 corresponds to energy of 0, state 2 to energy of ##U_0## and state 3 to energy of ##2U_0##.

Homework Equations

The Boltzmann factor = ##e^{-(U_s - U_r)/kT}##

The probability of being in a state is equal to $$p_i = \frac{e^{\frac{-E_i}{kT}}}{\sum{\frac{-E_i}{kT}}}$$

where the denominator is the sum over all states.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is for self study and not for a course and so I'm really trying to explain these solutions to myself.

In terms of an attempt, I know that

$$\frac{p_2}{p_1} = \frac{\Omega(2)}{\Omega(1)}$$

But $$\Omega(2) = \Omega(1) = 1$$ so the probability of being in any state is the same. And since the we have 3 energy states, I get that $$p_1 = p_2 = p_3 = \frac{1}{3}$$.

Is that correct?

And if so, how can I use the Boltzmann factor to arrive at the same answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
The principle of equally likely microstates only applies where those microstates are sufficiently alike. In particular, they must have the same energy. That is not the case here.
Use the relevant equations you quote (Boltzmann) to find the probabilities from the energies.

1. What is thermodynamic equilibrium?

Thermodynamic equilibrium is a state in which all macroscopic variables of a system remain constant over time. This means that there is no net flow of energy or matter within the system and it is in a stable state.

2. How do you calculate the probability of being in a state in thermodynamic equilibrium?

The probability of being in a state in thermodynamic equilibrium is calculated using the Boltzmann distribution. This formula takes into account the energy of the state and the temperature of the system to determine the probability of that state being occupied.

3. What factors influence the probability of being in a state in thermodynamic equilibrium?

The probability of being in a state in thermodynamic equilibrium is influenced by the energy of the state, the temperature of the system, and the number of particles in the system. Higher energy levels, higher temperatures, and a larger number of particles generally result in a higher probability of a state being occupied.

4. How does the concept of entropy relate to the probability of being in a state in thermodynamic equilibrium?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamic equilibrium, the system is at its maximum entropy, meaning that the probability of any state being occupied is equal. This is because in equilibrium, the system has reached its most probable state.

5. Can the probability of being in a state in thermodynamic equilibrium change over time?

No, the probability of being in a state in thermodynamic equilibrium does not change over time. This is because in equilibrium, there is no net flow of energy or matter within the system, so the system remains in a stable state.