1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed: coupling light from a LED into an optical fiber

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    First let me preface this by saying by physics-fu is remedial at best. I am a neuroscientist by training, but need a little help with piece of equipment I am designing, so any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. Basically, I need to figure out a way to efficiently couple a light emitting diode ~2mm in diameter, emitting ~470 nm light at an angle of 20 degrees (the smallest emitting angle I have been able to find for a commercially available small LED) to a multimode fiber optic cable (200 um core diameter, 0.37 NA). I know that for efficiently coupling a light source to optical fiber, the light needs to be colliminated, but I am having a hard time figuring out to do this with commercially available couplers I have seen (most are for much longer wavelengths used in telecommunications). Also, it would really help if this coupling device would be as small and light as possible, preferably only a couple of mm in length and less than 2 mm in diameter. Again, if anyone has ideas or even advice on where to look or who to consult to build this, it would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to pay for custom design, however most of the companies I have contacted have not been that responsive. Thanks again for looking!

Garret

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2
    I have some visible light fiber, a source, and liquid couplers put away from an experiment I was doing some time ago. I may be able to supply you with helpful information from my source catalog and other information from that experiment.
    Do you need to couple only to your diode or do you just need to couple to some source?
    The source I have is red visible, I will have to check for the wavelength.
    The source I have is about the size of a smaller flashlight. AA cells as I remember.
    Let me know if I can help. I worked with fiber-optics as a test/tech/engineer; (retired now.)
    D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook