Help Needed Solving For Two Scalars Such That au + bw = v

• Thread starter Jack Bateman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scalars
In summary, I cannot find a proportion that satisfies the equation. I am not quite sure what you mean by <> notation. I have never seen that notation before. I assume it means a vector. However, how can you add two scalars to get a vector? This makes no sense to me.
Jack Bateman

Homework Statement

Find a and b such that v= au + bw given that v = <1, 1>

Homework Equations

v = au + bw, v = <1,1>

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve for the appropriate values via guess and check, but it hasn't worked out. I cannot find a proportion either through fractional or integer values that satisfy the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
couldnt a be (1,1)/u?

I am not quite sure what you mean. The values of a and b must be scalars.

to be honest I've never seen the <> notation but i assume that means a vector. But how can you add two scalars to get a vector?

This particular notation denotes a vector in component form. The initial point is the origin. The point given indicates the terminal point.

Is there a generalized form that I could use to solve for two different scalars? Every system of equations I try to create is fundamentally flawed in some way.

Heres a generalized problem that might help. Just plug and chug your numbers. You should be provided with u and w values.

Heres my example
v= <2,1> (here you'd put <1,1>. i just don't feel like resolving it) v=<1,2> (i+2j) and w=<-1,1> (i-j)

therefore v=2i+j (<2,1> corresponds to the <i,j> coeffs)
so set the two sides equal to each other.
2i + j = a(i + 2j) + b(i - j)
2i + j = (a + b)i + (2a - b)j
simplify and you get
2=a+b and 1=2a-b
Solve and you get a=1 and b=1

If you need anymore help email me. :]

Jack Bateman said:

Homework Statement

Find a and b such that v= au + bw given that v = <1, 1>

Homework Equations

v = au + bw, v = <1,1>

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to solve for the appropriate values via guess and check, but it hasn't worked out. I cannot find a proportion either through fractional or integer values that satisfy the equation.
What are u and w? This makes no sense without knowing that. For some u and w, there will not exist such a and b. Assuming that u and w form a basis for R2, there must be unique a and b but they depend on what u and w are.

If, for example, u= <1, 0> and w= <0, 1> then a= b= 1. If u= <1, 1> and v= <1, -1) then a= 1 and b= 0.

If you are supposed to give some general formula, then let [itex]u= <u_1, u_2>[/itex] and [itex]w= <w_1, w_2>[/itex] then au+ bw= v becomes [itex]a<u_1, u_2>+ b<w_1, w_2>[/itex][itex]= <au_1+ bw_1, au_2+ bw_2>= <1, 1>[/itex] so we must have [itex]au_1+ bw_1= 1[/itex] and [itex]au_2+ bw_2= 1[/itex]. Solve those equations for a and b. Of course, the solution will involve a denominator of [itex]u_1w_2- u_2w_1[/itex]. There will be a solution if and only if that is not 0, exactly the condition that u and w form a basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the meaning of "au + bw = v" in the context of solving for two scalars?

The equation "au + bw = v" is a linear combination of two variables, represented by the scalars a and b, that results in the value v. This type of equation is often used in algebra and linear algebra to solve for unknown variables.

2. How do I solve for the values of a and b in the equation "au + bw = v"?

To solve for a and b, you will need to have additional information or equations that involve these variables. This could include other equations with the same variables, or given values for v or u and w. Using algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, you can manipulate the equations to solve for the values of a and b.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for two scalars in "au + bw = v"?

Sure! Let's say we have the equations "3a + 2b = 10" and "2a - b = 3". We can rewrite the second equation as "b = 2a - 3" and substitute it into the first equation, giving us "3a + 2(2a - 3) = 10". Solving for a, we get a = 1. Substituting this value back into the second equation, we can solve for b, giving us b = -1.

4. What if there are more than two variables in the equation "au + bw = v"? How do I solve for the values of all the variables?

If there are more than two variables in the equation, you will need additional equations or information to solve for all the variables. This could involve setting up a system of equations, where each equation has two variables, and using algebraic methods to solve the system.

5. How is solving for two scalars in "au + bw = v" relevant to scientific research?

Solving for two scalars in this type of equation is relevant in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where equations with multiple variables are used to describe relationships between physical quantities. By solving for these variables, scientists can better understand and predict the behavior of these systems, leading to advancements in technology and discoveries in the natural world.