1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Needed Solving For Two Scalars Such That au + bw = v

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a and b such that v= au + bw given that v = <1, 1>

2. Relevant equations
    v = au + bw, v = <1,1>

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to solve for the appropriate values via guess and check, but it hasn't worked out. I cannot find a proportion either through fractional or integer values that satisfy the equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    couldnt a be (1,1)/u???

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    I am not quite sure what you mean. The values of a and b must be scalars.

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4
    to be honest i've never seen the <> notation but i assume that means a vector. But how can you add two scalars to get a vector?

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    This particular notation denotes a vector in component form. The initial point is the origin. The point given indicates the terminal point.

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6
    Is there a generalized form that I could use to solve for two different scalars? Every system of equations I try to create is fundamentally flawed in some way.

8. Jan 28, 2010 #7
    Heres a generalized problem that might help. Just plug and chug your numbers. You should be provided with u and w values.

Heres my example
    v= <2,1> (here you'd put <1,1>. i just don't feel like resolving it) v=<1,2> (i+2j) and w=<-1,1> (i-j)

therefore v=2i+j (<2,1> corresponds to the <i,j> coeffs)
    so set the two sides equal to eachother.
    2i + j = a(i + 2j) + b(i - j)
    2i + j = (a + b)i + (2a - b)j
    simplify and you get
    2=a+b and 1=2a-b
    Solve and you get a=1 and b=1

If you need anymore help email me. :]

9. Jan 29, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What are u and w? This makes no sense without knowing that. For some u and w, there will not exist such a and b. Assuming that u and w form a basis for R2, there must be unique a and b but they depend on what u and w are.

If, for example, u= <1, 0> and w= <0, 1> then a= b= 1. If u= <1, 1> and v= <1, -1) then a= 1 and b= 0.

If you are supposed to give some general formula, then let [itex]u= <u_1, u_2>[/itex] and [itex]w= <w_1, w_2>[/itex] then au+ bw= v becomes [itex]a<u_1, u_2>+ b<w_1, w_2>[/itex][itex]= <au_1+ bw_1, au_2+ bw_2>= <1, 1>[/itex] so we must have [itex]au_1+ bw_1= 1[/itex] and [itex]au_2+ bw_2= 1[/itex]. Solve those equations for a and b. Of course, the solution will involve a denominator of [itex]u_1w_2- u_2w_1[/itex]. There will be a solution if and only if that is not 0, exactly the condition that u and w form a basis.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook