1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear functionals: Φ(u)=0 implies Φ(v)=0, then u=kv.

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose u,v ∈ V and that Φ(u)=0 implies Φ(v)=0 for all Φ ∈ V* (the duel space). Show that v=ku for some scalar k.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've managed to solve the problem when V is of finite dimension by assuming u,v are linearly independent, expanding them to a basis of V and defining a function such that Φ(v)=0, Φ(u)=1 and Φ(wi)=0 where wi are all the other basis vectors. This contradicted the original statement in the problem (since Φ(v)=0 but Φ(u)=1) which meant u,v must be linearly dependent, which implies u is a scalar multiple of v.

However I don't know how to prove it in the general case where V could also be of infinite dimension, the intuitive solution I had was an argument of linear dependence since we have a scalar multiple but I cannot seem to use it in the general case, so this is where I got stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What did you need a basis for?

4. Apr 12, 2017 #3
    I assume you mean in my proof for a vector space of finite dimension. I needed to expand u,v to a basis to show that Φ is indeed an element of the duel space by defining its action on a basis.

5. Apr 12, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

But you didn't use finiteness, nor did you use the entire basis. All you used, is a complementary space of ##\mathbb{F}\cdot u## on which you defined a functional (that isn't identically zero) to vanish.

6. Apr 12, 2017 #5
    I don't recall defining any complimentary space where Φ vanishes. If V is of dimension n, I merely expanded {v,u} to a basis S={v,u,w1,w2,...,wn-2} and defined a function Φ from V to its field K defined by Φ(v)=0, Φ(u)=1, Φ(w1)=0, Φ(w2)=0,..., Φ(wn-2)=0.
    This function is obviously a linear functional since it's a part of the basis of V* duel to the basis S, and this conflicted with the original statement.

All I did here was show that if u,v are linearly independent, there exists a function which contradicts the conditions of the question, and so u,v must be linearly dependent.

7. Apr 14, 2017 #6
    There is very important and simple theorem. Let ##X,Y,Z## be vector spaces say over field ##\mathbb{R}## or ##\mathbb{C}##. Perhaps some of these spaces are infinite dimensional. And let ##A:X\to Y,\quad B:X\to Z## be linear operators such that ##A(X)=Y## and ##\mathrm{ker}\,A\subset\mathrm{ker}\,B##.

Theorem 1. There is a linear operator ##\Lambda:Y\to Z## such that ##B=\Lambda A##.
    This theorem particularly implies thee followin proposition.

Theorem 2. If ##f,f_1,\ldots, f_n\in X^*## and ##\bigcap_{i=1}^n\mathrm{ker}\, f_i\subseteq \mathrm{ker}\,f## then there exist numbers ##\lambda_1,\ldots,\lambda_n## such that ##f=\lambda_1f_1+\ldots+\lambda_nf_n##.

By the way this idea is a source of all Lagrange multipliers theorems.

Now turn to the problem of OP. Define linear functionals ##\tilde u,\tilde v:V^*\to\mathbb{R}## as follows ##\tilde u(\Phi)=\Phi(u)## and the same for ##\tilde v##. From conditions of the OP's problem it follows that ##\mathrm{ker}\,\tilde u\subseteq\mathrm{ker}\,\tilde v##. By Theorem 2 it follows that ##\tilde v=k\tilde u##. That is ##\Phi(v)=k\Phi(u)## for all ##\Phi\in V^*##. Thus ##v=ku##.

This prompts that there is no need to employ the whole space ##V^*## it is sufficient to use only its total subspace

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted