1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Computing representation number quad forms

1. Jan 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

## r_{A} (n) = ## number of solutions of ## { \vec{x} \in Z^{m} ; A[\vec{x}] =n} ##
    where ##A[x]= x^t A x ##, is the associated quadratic from to the matrix ##A##, where here ##A## is positive definite, of rank ##m## and even. (and I think symmetric?)

I am solving for the ##r_{A}(1) ## for the two quadratic forms:

##Q(x,y,uv)= 2(x^2+y^2+u^2+v^2)+2xu+xv+yu-2yv##
    ##R(x,y,uv)=x^2+4(y^2+u^2+v^2)+xu+4yu+3yv+7uv##

2. Relevant equations

see above

3. The attempt at a solution

diagonalized these read:

##Q=2(x+u/2+v/4)^2+2(y-v/2+u/4)^2+11u^2/8 + 11v^2/8 ##
    ##R=(x+1/2u)^2+4(y+1/2u+3/8v)^2+11/4(u+v)^2+11/16v^2 ##

Solving ##Q=1## with all ##x,y,u,v## integer, it is clear that ##u,v=0## is needed, and then ##x,y=\pm 1 ## gives ##r_{Q}(1)=4##.

Now looking at ## r_{R}(1) ## by the same reasoning as above I would have said that we require ##v=0## , and then I' m not sure what to do.

However the solution is:

Must have ##u+v=1 ## & ##|v|=0,\pm 1 ##, this gives ## \pm(1,0,0,0)##, ##\pm(1,0,-1,1) ## , ##\pm(0,0,-1,1)##

(the symbol that I interpreted as '&' in the solutions is a bit smudged, so looking at the solutions I'm not sure that this is supposed to be a 'or'? )

Either way, I'm really confused, unsure where these conditions come from, how to think about this in a logical way...

Many thanks for your help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure there are no typos? I calculated ##R(0,0,-1,1) = \frac{61}{64}##. It could also help to multiply the equations by ##8##, resp. ##16##, which would make the comparisons easier.

4. Jan 7, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

True, but not quite trivial.
    How do you get that? Don't those give Q=4?
    Then you would be wrong. I said it wasn't quite trivial.
    As fresh_42 writes, it will help to multiply through the equations to eliminate the fractions.

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4
    oh right, the reason is that each term needs to be ##\leq 1 ## ?

6. Jan 11, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Each term must be no more than 1, but I cannot say whether that is the "reason" you were wrong to conclude v=0 since I do not know how you concluded it. All I can say is that there is a solution with v not 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted