Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help needed! transport problems involving bessel eqn

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    Hi everybody... i would like to seek help for the problem below. the assumptions i've considered is that transfer is radial only since it is a very long cylinder (infinitely long) that transfer in z direction is negligible, thermal radiation is zero, and wood properties are constant. Starting from the general energy equation i've come with a form similar to a modified bessel function of zero order but I'm stuck after that. i hope you may be able to help me. thanks a lot in advance.

Problem : Burning of a wooden dowel

In a fire research experiment, a long wooden dowel ( around rod), diameter 1.00 inch, temperature 74°F, is placed in a stream of 1,500°F air. The heat transfer coefficient between gas and surface is 5 Btu/h-ft2-F. Estimate the exposure time up to ignition of the rod on the assumption that ignition takes place when the surface temperature reaches 750°F.
    Wood Properties at 74°F
    Ρ= 50 lb/ft3
    k = 0.10 Btu/h-ft-F
    cp = 0.6 Btu/lb-F

assume that the wood properties are constant up to 750°F. Neglect the possible role of thermal radiation.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi aelisha1079, welcome to PF. I would check first if conduction within the rod can be ignored (i.e., calculate the Biot number). If it can, then a lumped capacitance approach can be used. If not, then the standard approach is to start with the time-dependent solution for the heat equation in cylindrical geometry; there's no reason to try to re-derive it.
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3
    hi mapes! thanks for the reply. I've tried to derive the equation because i cant find a reference with the same case as unsteady heat conduction in an infinitely long cylinder. I would appreciate if you can provide me some referance for the problem. thanks so much
  5. Oct 18, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check Incropera and Dewitt's Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?