Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, Lightfoot

In summary: I found these chapters very clear, concise and well written.The book is quite dense, but I think that's a good thing. It's not a book you read cover to cover, but one you use as a reference for specific problems.In summary, this book is an excellent reference for anyone studying transport phenomena in engineering or science. It's well written, comprehensive and easy to follow.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
  • Author: R. Byron Bird, Warren E. Stewart, Edwin N. Lightfoot
  • Title: Transport Phenomena, Revised 2nd Edition [Hardcover]
  • Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470115394/?tag=pfamazon01-20
  • Prerequisities: Advanced Calculus, Differential Equations (ODE, PDE), Introductory Heat Transfer and Fluid Mechanics
  • Level: Undergrad, Upper Level; Graduate

"Transport Phenomena has been revised to include deeper and more extensive coverage of heat transfer, enlarged discussion of dimensional analysis, a new chapter on flow of polymers, systematic discussions of convective momentum,and energy. Topics also include mass transport, momentum transport and energy transport, which are presented at three different scales: molecular, microscopic and macroscopic. If this is your first look at Transport Phenomena you'll quickly learn that its balanced introduction to the subject of transport phenomena is the foundation of its long-standing success."

Table of Contents:

Code:
Preface. 
Chapter 0. The Subject of Transport Phenomena. 

PART I: MOMENTUM TRANSPORT. 

Chapter 1. Viscosity and the Mechanisms of Momentum Transport. 
Chapter 2. Shell Momentum Balances and Velocity Distribution in Laminar Flow. 
Chapter 3. The Equations of Change for Isothermal Systems. 
Chapter 4. Velocity Distributions with More Than One Independent Variable. 
Chapter 5. Velocity Distributions in Turbulent Flow. 
Chapter 6. Interphase Transport in Isothermal Systems. 
Chapter 7. Macroscopic Balances for Isothermal Flow Systems. 
Chapter 8. Polymeric Liquids. 

PART II: ENERGY TRANSPORT. 

Chapter 9. Thermal Conductivity and the Mechanisms of Energy Transport. 
Chapter 10. Shell Energy Balance sand Temperature Distributions in Solids and Laminar Flow. 
Chapter 11. The Equations of Change for Nonisothermal Systems. 
Chapter 12. Temperature Distributions with More than One Independent Variable. 
Chapter 13. Temperature Distributions in Turbulent Flow. 
Chapter 14. Interphase Transport in Nonisothermal Systems. 
Chapter 15. Macroscopic Balances for Nonisothermal Systems. 
Chapter 16. Energy Transport by Radiation. 

PART III: MASS TRANSPORT. 

Chapter 17. Diffusivity and the Mechanisms of Mass Transport. 
Chapter 18. Concentration Distributions in Solids and Laminar Flow. 
Chapter 19. Equations of Change for Multicomponent Systems. 
Chapter 20. Concentration Distributions with More than One Independent Variable. 
Chapter 21. Concentration Distributions in Turbulent Flow. 
Chapter 22. Interphase Transport in Nonisothermal Mixtures. 
Chapter 23. Macroscopic Balances for Multicomponent Systems. 
Chapter 24. Other Mechanisms for Mass Transport. 

Appendices. 

Appendix A. A Vector and Tensor Notation. 
Appendix B. Fluxes and the Equations of Change. 
Appendix C. Mathematical Topics. 
Appendix D. The Kinetic Theory of Gases. 
Appendix E. Tables for Prediction of Transport Properties. 
Appendix F. Constants and Conversion Factors. 

Notation. 
Author Index. 
Subject Index. 
About the Authors.

I used the first edition in courses on heat and mass transport with respect to nuclear reactor systems.

From the publisher: "The second edition continues to maintain its aim of presenting balanced treatment of transport phenomena and equal emphasis on mass transport, momentum transport and energy transport. It has however, been revised to include more extensive reference to applications of material covered and the addition of appendices on applied mathematics topics, the Boltzmann equation, and a summary of the basic equations in several coordinate systems.

Expanded coverage of:
◦ Transport properties in two-phase systems
◦ Boundary-layer theory
◦ Heat and mass transfer coefficients
◦ Dimensional analysis and scaling"

Publisher's page: http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470115394,descCd-collegeEdNotes.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An outstanding book, which (as far as I know) offers a unique blend of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics.

You should be aware that this book does not offer easy options. It does not skimp or shrink from difficult topics.

However it somehow makes these topics understandable and usable, something of great value to engineers.

Another absolute best textbook. There is no equal to this 'Bible'.

This is the best and most useful textbook I've come across during my chemical engineering studies. If I had to pick just one text from my collection, I'd pick this one. It contains almost everything you need to know about transport phenomena, both at the fundamental and practical level.

The book is divided in three parts, fluid mechanics, heat transfer and mass transfer. And within each part, contains two contiguous chapters which are easily the most important chapters in the book. I'm talking about the chapters on interphase transport and macroscopic balances (6, 7, 14, 15, 22, 23), which mostly deal with the analysis of actual engineering equipment.

1. What is the main focus of "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, Lightfoot?

The main focus of "Transport Phenomena" is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the principles and applications of transport processes, including momentum, heat, and mass transfer. It covers the fundamental concepts and mathematical tools necessary for solving problems related to fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and mass transfer.

2. What makes "Transport Phenomena" a valuable resource for scientists and engineers?

"Transport Phenomena" is a valuable resource for scientists and engineers because it presents a unified approach to understanding and solving transport problems in various fields, including chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, and biomedical engineering. It also includes real-world examples and practical applications to help readers apply the concepts learned.

3. Does "Transport Phenomena" cover both theoretical and practical aspects of transport processes?

Yes, "Transport Phenomena" covers both theoretical and practical aspects of transport processes. It provides a strong theoretical foundation through derivations and mathematical equations, while also including practical examples and applications to real-world problems.

4. Is "Transport Phenomena" suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students?

Yes, "Transport Phenomena" is suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students. It is commonly used as a textbook for undergraduate courses in transport phenomena, but it also serves as a valuable reference for graduate students and professionals in various fields of engineering and science.

5. Are there any prerequisites for understanding "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, Lightfoot?

Yes, a basic understanding of calculus, differential equations, and fluid mechanics is recommended for understanding "Transport Phenomena". Some knowledge of thermodynamics and heat transfer may also be helpful, but the book does provide a brief review of these topics in the beginning chapters.