Help On Engineering Probability Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses an engineering module that focuses on probability, but is not a math module. The topics covered include sets, RV, PDF, applied statistics, random process, complex analysis, conformal mapping, linear algebra, and optimization. The speaker is looking for alternative lecture notes to supplement their understanding, but is having trouble finding them. Another person recommends the Papoulis book as well as the Miller and Freund book for a less theoretical approach.
rela
Dear all,

I'm currently taking an engineering module which is probability based. However, it's not a maths module. Instead, it's a probability module designed to come under the context of engineering. The probability topics range from sets, RV, PDF, applied statistics, random process, complex analysis, conformal mapping, linear algebra and optimization.

I have been searching online for alternative lecture notes to supplement my reading and understanding. However, I'm unable to find it any good notes to refer. Hence, I'm wondering if any of you may happen to come across some good notes to recommend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rela

Engineering news on Phys.org
hmm, i dunno, when i took it, we used the Papoulis book, which starts off with an axiomatic treatment of probability. it was maybe the most mathematical class i ever took, despite being in the engineering department. i think i had a Schaum's outline as supplemental material, but that was it.

Although I think the Papoulis - Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes is a great book, there is another book with a somewhat less theoretical approach you might want to have a look at - Miller and Freund - Probability and Statistics for Engineers.
Good Luck.

1. What is engineering probability?

Engineering probability is a branch of mathematics and statistics that deals with analyzing and predicting the likelihood of events or outcomes in engineering systems. It is an important tool for engineers in decision-making, risk assessment, and quality control.

2. How is engineering probability used in real-world applications?

Engineering probability is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including designing and testing new products, predicting failure rates of systems, optimizing processes and operations, and assessing risks in construction and infrastructure projects.

3. What are some common techniques used in engineering probability?

Some common techniques used in engineering probability include probability distributions, Bayes' theorem, reliability analysis, stochastic processes, and Monte Carlo simulations.

4. What are the benefits of using engineering probability in problem-solving?

The use of engineering probability in problem-solving allows for a more systematic and rigorous approach to decision-making. It also helps in identifying potential risks and uncertainties, and in making informed and data-driven decisions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of engineering probability?

To improve your understanding of engineering probability, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and statistics. You can also take courses or attend workshops on engineering probability, practice with real-world problems, and collaborate with other professionals in the field.