Help: Radiation suits for NukeReactors

• Thread starter towly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of protecting workers from radiation exposure in nuclear accidents. The idea of creating an electromagnetic shield for workers is proposed, with the suggestion of using a "faraday suit." However, it is explained that the types of radiation involved (alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, and neutron radiation) make it difficult to create a suit that can provide complete protection. The Earth's electromagnetic shield is also mentioned, but it is clarified that it only protects from charged particles, not all types of radiation. The conversation ends with the hope of finding a solution and the mention of various ideas for further exploration.
towly
If there is already a post/thread for this topic, i apologize, and please link me to it, if you'd be so kind.

I don't understand why the japanese workers have to die. In a hundred years already, hasn't someone yet invented a simple radiation suit to protect in nuclear accidents?

I've thought, if the Earth is protected from the solar wind by her own EM (electromagnetic shield), then why not make a EM shield for a plant-worker? I thought, geez, we just need to attach a batterypack belt to a worker, to energize a series of dipoles placed around a human, to deter &/or collect the harmful radiation. The dipoles would then be discared just before each exit from the damaged reactor.

I thought, well what about the heat? They're dousing it with hundreds of cubic meters of water, to suppress the heat, so an appropriate suit would need to be heat resistant, like the ceramic tiles on the space shuttle, and thus once again, too heavy (like lead suits), to be practical. Then i thought, well, the high-heat issue must be moot, since they're sending in workers anyways, in thin suits, obviously close enough to receive lethal radiation, but not close enough to be hot enough to cook them.

Today i found some stuff on youtube, it appears the starting point for my invention, would be something similar to what's already been created before, something called a 'faraday suit'.
However, i haven't seen any examples yet of 'faraday' suit, aka basically a metallic fiber suit, that's also been electromagnetized from within, so as to repel the outside radiation.

Seems to me were almost there. Just need like a 'hover-suit' (my word), pressurized from within, or an astronaut suit, or even just a series of 'dipoles'/('multipoles'), connected to, or activated by, an internal electrical, or electromagnetic source.

I must be naive. I must be missing something. I can't believe a nation, and a world, full of nuclear techs, MRI techs, physicists, electricians, defense department people, energy company people, etc. etc., over half a century no less, have yet to think of making some appropriate, protective clothing, to have on hand, in case of an accident.

My childlike, inquiring mind, has apparently discovered far greater, several times now in my life, asking similarily, seemingly simple, obvious questions, that i'd become perplexed with, after a time, of no-one else asking/recognizing, pointing out; that i don't to feel to remiss in asking again, something potentionaly naive or already well-decided. We need to help these people, for everyone's sake, and for our future's, like yesterday (weeks ago now).

Please respond.

Science news on Phys.org
Unfortunently it isn't that simple.
When an atom fissions or decays, it can do this in a couple of ways. It can eject an Alpha Particle, which is simply a helium nucleus (2 protons and 2 neutrons). This is very positively charged and can be stopped by just about anything, including air. (It only travels a very small distance in air). It is only dangerous if you get radioactive particles inside you that then radiate alpha particles.

Then there is a Beta particle, which is simply an Electron. This is negatively charged, and while it travels further than an Alpha Particle does, it can be stopped by a thin layer of clothing. Like an alpha particle it is typically only dangerous if you get radioactive particles inside you.

Next is a Gamma Ray. This is simply highly energetic light, more so than even X-Rays. These are VERY penetrating and only very dense materials such as Lead can hope to stop it quickly. A thin suit CAN offer protection depending on what it is made out of, but the more radiation you encounter, the less effective it is. (Not a limitation of the suit, but a limitation of ALL shielding, no matter what).

The last is called Neutron Radiation. A neutron is a particle that makes up the nucleus of an atom along with a Proton. Unlike a Proton, which is positively charged, a Neutron has no net charge. It is neutral. These can be VERY dangerous. Since they are not charged they tend to travel a very long way through materials before being absorbed. Like a gamma ray a suit only offers limited protection from Neutron radiation.

It is important to realize that for Gamma and Neutron radiation, the higher the dose the less effective your protection is. At a certain level, nothing you can wear will offer enough protection to survive. Whether this level is reached inside a reactor or not, I do not know.

Also, the magnetic field around the Earth only protects us from charged particles, IE protons and electrons from space. Any EM radiation (Light, X-Rays, Gamma Rays, ETC) get through just fine. A suit with built in magnets would be ineffective and accomplish nothing.

thanks, great response, much appreciated. just what i was looking for. something to chew on. we can find a solution. let's work on this. the solution is out there. the best solution, at current times, with our limited knowledge. Don't give up hope. Hope is eternal. I'm'a keep working on it. So, we need a solution for non-ionized radiontion. Ok, good, we've defined the problem. We can do it.. . I've got my mind working, too many things at once. Had a few too. I'll have to work on it some more tommorrow and the next. Time's awasting though, & of the essence. We need more input! Where are the rest of You?? My jumbled mind, is thinking...blackbody suits, faux holographic bloackbodyesque type suits, Na/Cl, gravitational pull/lensing, density - solidity/liquidity/gelatinous, liquid salt/ liquid chlorine (neutrino experiments), iridium/osmium suits (or platinum/gold), <<high density materials..>>,
superchilled/supercooled/superconducting, extremely dense, lattice/cubic/hexagonal, etc... contraposed to the prevailing radioactive agonists... etc... . sorry, thanks for the response. i need to apply my imagination when more fully focused, thanks. will get back to you after more thought...

towly said:
thanks, great response, much appreciated. just what i was looking for. something to chew on. we can find a solution. let's work on this. the solution is out there. the best solution, at current times, with our limited knowledge. Don't give up hope. Hope is eternal. I'm'a keep working on it. So, we need a solution for non-ionized radiontion. Ok, good, we've defined the problem. We can do it.. . I've got my mind working, too many things at once. Had a few too. I'll have to work on it some more tommorrow and the next. Time's awasting though, & of the essence. We need more input! Where are the rest of You?? My jumbled mind, is thinking...blackbody suits, faux holographic bloackbodyesque type suits, Na/Cl, gravitational pull/lensing, density - solidity/liquidity/gelatinous, liquid salt/ liquid chlorine (neutrino experiments), iridium/osmium suits (or platinum/gold), <<high density materials..>>,
superchilled/supercooled/superconducting, extremely dense, lattice/cubic/hexagonal, etc... contraposed to the prevailing radioactive agonists... etc... . sorry, thanks for the response. i need to apply my imagination when more fully focused, thanks. will get back to you after more thought...

What are you smoking?

Problem is not with our limited knowledge, we know enough to be sure it is not possible to shield radiation completely.

Borek said:
What are you smoking?

Problem is not with our limited knowledge, we know enough to be sure it is not possible to shield radiation completely.

Not smoking:blushing: , drinking :tongue2: (was a good concert in town tonight).
Umm, Sure, not possible to completeyly shield. The stars will always be more powerful than us. However, why should just a few measley pounds of uranium stop us? We can do it! Don't lose hope. Don't lose imagination!

15-foot thick concrete suits?

Pythagorean said:
15-foot thick concrete suits?

No no no! that's elementary. Something more dense, in your case (lead,iridium/osmium, gold/platinum, in that case...). At least you're trying to wrap your hypotenuese around it:approve:, pythag. Were not looking for basic convective thickness here ( i realize you jest). Something on a deeper level. Molecular/atomic structure, nuclear, EM, chromatic, etc... Stop jesting, get to it!

Ok, going to bed, be back in 14 hours, give or take. Somebody please figure out a solution. Free knowledge. Patentless. The power of the web. We can do it.

beach_waddell said:
so one ? of mine is can mercury slow down gamma rays

What do you mean "slow down"? Reduce the speed of the gamma rays traveling through the mercury, or absorb them to reduce exposure?

ok sorry i mean absorb mercury is suppose to be dence whould that mean it is good for absorbing gamma rays or is there a explantion for why it won't work

beach_waddell said:
ok sorry i mean absorb mercury is suppose to be dence whould that mean it is good for absorbing gamma rays or is there a explantion for why it won't work

It would work, but how well it works depends on the thickness of the shielding. I don't think mercury has any advantage over other methods though.

well what i am saying is mercury being more dence would absorb at a better rate then lead may be more costly but it would be something used just for tech's during a meltdown to to improve there chance at less exposure

beach_waddell said:
well what i am saying is mercury being more dence would absorb at a better rate then lead may be more costly but it would be something used just for tech's during a meltdown to to improve there chance at less exposure

Any suit with enough material to block out lots of gamma rays would be far too heavy to wear around. It would be similar to strapping plates of lead to yourself and strolling around. It's HEAVY.

ok well that's why i ask i have never carried around lb of mercury wanted know why it was never used so drak what do you do for a job
if may i ask

beach_waddell said:
ok well that's why i ask i have never carried around lb of mercury wanted know why it was never used so drak what do you do for a job
if may i ask

I am currently 1 month from separating from the U.S. Air Force. I worked on these while I was in: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-86

towly said:
No no no! that's elementary. Something more dense, in your case (lead,iridium/osmium, gold/platinum, in that case...). At least you're trying to wrap your hypotenuese around it:approve:, pythag. Were not looking for basic convective thickness here ( i realize you jest). Something on a deeper level. Molecular/atomic structure, nuclear, EM, chromatic, etc... Stop jesting, get to it!
Actually, concrete is pretty good at stopping neutrons. Heavy metals are better for gamma rays. Hydrogen compounds are better for stopping neutrons.

oh sweet i almost went into the airforce in 03 was jrotc thru high school was going to take SF then shoot for tatical combat control but then i got hit with a schol. i could not refuse

What are radiation suits and why are they necessary for NukeReactors?

Radiation suits are specialized protective clothing designed to shield individuals from harmful radiation exposure. They are necessary for NukeReactors because nuclear reactors produce high levels of radiation that can be dangerous to human health if not properly protected against.

What are the main components of a radiation suit?

A typical radiation suit includes a full body coverall, gloves, boots, and a hood or helmet. The coverall is usually made of a material that is resistant to radiation and can be easily decontaminated. Gloves and boots are also designed to protect against radiation and are typically made of rubber or plastic. The hood or helmet provides additional protection for the head and neck.

How do radiation suits protect against harmful radiation?

Radiation suits work by creating a barrier between the individual wearing it and the source of radiation. They are usually made of materials such as lead, rubber, or plastic, which are effective at absorbing or blocking radiation. The suit also covers the entire body, preventing any direct contact with radiation.

What are the different levels of protection offered by radiation suits?

Radiation suits are classified into different levels based on the amount of protection they offer. These levels range from A to D, with level A providing the highest level of protection. The level of protection needed depends on the type of radiation and the amount of exposure expected.

How should radiation suits be properly maintained and disposed of?

Radiation suits should be regularly inspected and decontaminated after each use to ensure they are still effective. They should also be stored in a cool, dry place when not in use. When it is time to dispose of a radiation suit, it should be treated as hazardous material and properly disposed of according to local regulations.