Help Request QHO series method from Griffiths

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining a formula for aj in the context of the Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by Griffiths. The formula is obtained using the series aj = C / (j / 2)! for large j values. The conversation also discusses the use of this formula for specific values of j and provides a reworked argument using the series h(x) and e^{x^2} to demonstrate its asymptotic behavior.
relativist
I Uwould be grateful if anybody can kindly help me with this particular doubt that cropped when I was working through Introduction to Quantum Mchanics by Griffiths ( Griffiths page 66 )

My question is how is the following obtained :

aj = C / (J/2)! ( Please read j as subscript of a )

I would be grateful to anybody who who can clarify my doubt.

Thanks

Relativist

Physics news on Phys.org
In my copy of Griffiths, this is on pages 53-54.

What do you get when use j = 2 in

[tex]a_{j+2} = \frac{2}{j} a_j?[/tex]

j = 4? j = 6? j = 8?

George Jones said:
In my copy of Griffiths, this is on pages 53-54.

What do you get when use j = 2 in

[tex]a_{j+2} = \frac{2}{j} a_j?[/tex]

j = 4? j = 6? j = 8?

Thanks for your reply. But this leads to

a10 = a2 / 4! when it should be a10 = a2 / 5! according to aj = C / (j / 2)!. Can you please tell me how this can be approximately coorect when we are considering large values of j. I worked for j = 100 and found a2 / 49 ! when it should be a2 / 50.

Regards,

Relativist

Okay, how about reworking the argument in Griffiths as follows.

Consider the series

[tex]h \left( x \right) = \sum^\infty_{j=0} a_j x^j[/tex]

with

[tex]a_{j+2} = \frac{2}{j} a_j[/tex]

for large [itex]j[/itex]. Now consider

[tex]e^{x^2} = \sum^\infty_{n=0} \frac{x^{2n}}{n!} = \sum^\infty_{n=0} c_{2n} x^{2n},[/tex]

so, for large [itex]j[/itex],

[tex]c_{j+2} = \frac{2}{j} c_j.[/tex]

Therefore, asymptotically, [itex]h \left( x \right)[/itex] looks like [tex]e^{x^2}[/tex].

Thanks very much for the clear explanation. I can see it now.

Thanks once again for your time.

Regards,

Relativist

1. What is the QHO series method from Griffiths?

The QHO series method from Griffiths is a mathematical technique used to solve the quantum harmonic oscillator (QHO) problem, which is a fundamental problem in quantum mechanics. It involves expressing the wave function of the QHO in terms of a power series expansion and using mathematical operations to solve for the coefficients of the series.

2. Why is the QHO series method from Griffiths important?

The QHO series method from Griffiths is important because it provides a systematic and efficient way to solve the QHO problem, which has applications in various fields such as quantum chemistry, solid state physics, and particle physics. It also helps to develop a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles of quantum mechanics.

3. How does the QHO series method from Griffiths differ from other methods?

The QHO series method from Griffiths differs from other methods, such as the ladder operator method and the path integral method, in that it provides a more straightforward and systematic approach to solving the QHO problem. It also allows for the calculation of higher order corrections to the energy levels of the QHO, making it more accurate.

4. What are the limitations of the QHO series method from Griffiths?

One limitation of the QHO series method from Griffiths is that it can only be applied to simple systems with a single degree of freedom. It also assumes that the potential energy function is symmetric about the origin, which may not be the case in some systems. Additionally, the method becomes increasingly complex for systems with higher energy levels.

5. How can I learn more about the QHO series method from Griffiths?

There are many resources available to learn more about the QHO series method from Griffiths, such as textbooks on quantum mechanics or online lecture notes. It is also helpful to practice solving QHO problems using this method and seeking guidance from a mentor or instructor. Additionally, attending seminars or workshops on quantum mechanics can provide a deeper understanding of this method and its applications.