A question regarding the Power series method of solving the QHO

In summary, Griffiths derives the wave function and energy levels for the QHO via a Frobenius/Power series method. He breaks the process down into odd and even functions for the values of the index j, and discusses the divergence of the series. He then explains that the way to make the series convergent is by requiring the series to terminate at j=n. Setting n=0 results in the wave function being truncated, while setting n=2 results in the even series terminating.
klawlor419
I am working through the Griffiths QM text and I am getting caught up on some the process he uses to derive the wave functions and energy levels for the QHO, via Frobenius/Power series method.

I understand that the Schrodinger equation get recast into a summation form over the coefficients of the power series expansion. I understand that each of the terms in the summation, which represents the original Schrodinger equation for the QHO, must be equal to zero. This is the replacement for the differential equation. Once this is realized the recursion formula for all of the coefficients of the wave function is produced.

Griffiths breaks this down into odd and even functions for the values of the index j. Discusses the divergence of the series, which was similar to asymptotic expansion he introduced at the beginning of the section. He then explains that the way to make the series convergent is by requiring the series to terminate at j=n. This imposes the condition on E that solves for the energy levels of the QHO.

What I am confused by is why, when I set n=0, I must set the first odd coefficient to zero. Does it have to due with the physicality of the wave function? On the same note, I am confused with larger values of n and this same sort of thing. Let's say that I choose the n=2 state, so that the series will be cutoff at n=2, if I choose the first odd-coefficient to be zero wouldn't I loose some portion of the wave function that could be important? How do we know that if n is even the odd terms must disappear and vice-versa?

I realize that the wave functions for the QHO should be alternatively odd and even functions. i am missing something. Thanks ahead of time for whatever help is offered.

Physics news on Phys.org
You get a recursion formula that relates coefficients cm and cm+2, which means it connects all the odd powers to each other, and all the even powers to each other. The first two coefficients c0 and c1 are completely arbitrary. So schematically you get a solution

y = c0 x (..even power series..) + c1 x (..odd power series..)

Now pick a value of E that makes the even power series terminate. However with this value, the odd power series does NOT terminate, so you must set c1 = 0.

Or... you can pick a value of E that makes the odd power series terminate. Then the even series will not terminate and you must set c0 = 0.

OK I understand now. I was almost there in my understanding but slightly missing something. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the Power series method and how does it work?

The Power series method is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations, such as the quantum harmonic oscillator (QHO). It involves expressing the solution to the equation as a series of terms, with each term containing a constant coefficient and a variable raised to a different power. By plugging this series into the differential equation, the coefficients can be determined and the solution can be approximated.

2. What are the advantages of using the Power series method to solve the QHO?

The Power series method is advantageous because it can be applied to a wide range of differential equations, including those with variable coefficients. It also allows for the determination of an approximate solution rather than an exact one, which can be useful in cases where an exact solution is difficult to obtain.

3. Are there any limitations to using the Power series method for the QHO?

Yes, one limitation of the Power series method is that it may only provide an approximate solution, which may not be accurate enough for certain applications. Additionally, the method may fail to converge for some differential equations, making it unsuitable for those cases.

4. How is the Power series method related to the Taylor series?

The Power series method is a type of Taylor series, which is a mathematical series used to approximate a function. The difference is that the Power series method specifically applies to differential equations, while the Taylor series can be used for any type of function.

5. Can the Power series method be used to solve other quantum systems?

Yes, the Power series method can be applied to other quantum systems, such as the quantum anharmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom. However, the specific form of the series may vary depending on the system and its associated differential equation.