Help selecting the proper size PWM for a motor

• Thread starter jonammann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Pwm
In summary, a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is a method of controlling the power supplied to a motor by switching the power on and off at a high frequency. The proper size PWM for a motor depends on its power and voltage requirements, and it is important to choose one that can handle the required voltage and current. Choosing the wrong size PWM can result in decreased performance or damage to the motor. While PWMs are commonly used with DC motors, they can also be used with some types of AC motors. It is important to check the motor's specifications to ensure compatibility. When using a PWM with a motor, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and use appropriate safety equipment.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nevermind it took some time but I found an article that helped me.

What is a PWM?

A PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is a method of controlling the power supplied to a motor by switching the power on and off at a high frequency. This allows for precise control of the motor's speed and direction.

How do I determine the proper size PWM for my motor?

The proper size PWM for a motor depends on several factors, including the motor's power and voltage requirements, as well as the desired speed and torque. It is important to consult the motor's specifications and choose a PWM that can handle the required voltage and current.

What happens if I choose the wrong size PWM for my motor?

Choosing the wrong size PWM for a motor can result in the motor not receiving enough power, which can lead to decreased performance or even damage to the motor. It is important to carefully select the proper size PWM to ensure the motor operates efficiently and safely.

Can I use a PWM with any type of motor?

PWMs are commonly used with DC motors, but they can also be used with some types of AC motors. It is important to check the motor's specifications to determine if it is compatible with a PWM.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a PWM with a motor?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines when using a PWM with a motor. It is also recommended to use appropriate safety equipment, such as gloves and eye protection, when handling electrical components.