HELP: Simscape for structural engineering

In summary, the speaker is investigating the usefulness of Simscape in structural engineering and is looking for reading materials or tutorials on using the program. They have explored the Simscape libraries and believe it may only be useful for structural dynamics. They are also wondering if there is any software available for finding voids in a building collapse. Despite 134 views, there have been no replies to their inquiry.
Fat Ryan
Hello,

I am assisting my professor by investigating the usefulness of Simscape in structural engineering. I have just recently obtained a copy of Matlab, and I am totally unfamiliar with the entire program as a whole. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good reading materials or tutorials for using Simscape? I ran through the examples at the Mathworks website, but it was not nearly enough. What I have gathered from exploring the Simscape libraries is that this program will likely only be useful in structural dynamics (which I, of course, have zero experience in). If I am mistaken, please let me know. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Engineering news on Phys.org
134 views and no replies :/ I guess no structural engineers use this software. So far in my experience, it has been quite the PITA to built models in.

misnderstudge said:
does anyone know if there is and software to find voids in a building collapse, to make rescue more effective and efficient.

everyone is rare but some people are more common than others.

Why would you post this in my Simscape thread?

sorry hit the wrong thread

Hello there,

Simscape is a powerful tool for simulating and analyzing physical systems, including structural engineering systems. It allows for the integration of different components and their interactions, providing a more comprehensive understanding of a system's behavior.

To get started with Simscape, I recommend checking out the official documentation and tutorials on the MathWorks website. They provide step-by-step instructions and examples for using Simscape in different applications. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums where you can find helpful tips and advice from experienced users.

In terms of its usefulness in structural engineering, Simscape can definitely be applied in various aspects such as structural dynamics, thermal analysis, and control systems. It can help with modeling and simulating complex structures, analyzing their behavior under different loads and conditions, and optimizing their design.

I also suggest reaching out to other researchers or engineers in the field who have experience with Simscape. They can provide valuable insights and guidance on how to effectively use the program for your specific application.

I hope this helps and wish you success in your investigation. Simscape can be a valuable tool in your research and I encourage you to continue exploring its capabilities. Best of luck!

What is Simscape and how is it used in structural engineering?

Simscape is a physical modeling tool that uses a graphical interface to simulate and analyze multi-domain physical systems. It allows structural engineers to model and simulate various mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and other physical systems, and study the interactions and behaviors of these systems. It can be used to design and optimize structures, analyze their dynamic responses, and validate their performance under different load conditions.

What are the key features of Simscape that make it useful for structural engineering?

Simscape offers a wide range of features that are beneficial for structural engineering, including the ability to model complex, multi-domain systems, incorporate custom components and materials, simulate dynamic responses, and perform sensitivity analysis. It also has a user-friendly interface and offers integration with other engineering software, making it a versatile tool for structural analysis and design.

How does Simscape compare to other simulation software commonly used in structural engineering?

Compared to other simulation software, Simscape stands out for its ability to model and simulate multi-domain physical systems, its customizable component library, and its integration with other engineering software. It also has a comprehensive documentation and online community support, making it a popular choice among structural engineers.

Can Simscape be used for both linear and nonlinear analysis in structural engineering?

Yes, Simscape can be used for both linear and nonlinear analysis in structural engineering. It has built-in solvers that can handle linear systems, as well as the option to incorporate custom solvers for more complex nonlinear systems. This allows for a comprehensive analysis of structures under various loading conditions and can help optimize their design for better performance.

Are there any limitations to using Simscape for structural engineering?

While Simscape offers many benefits for structural engineering, it may not be suitable for all types of structures. It is primarily used for analyzing and designing physical systems, so it may not be the best choice for structures that require advanced computational analysis. Additionally, it may have a steeper learning curve for those who are not familiar with physical modeling or MATLAB, the programming language used for Simscape.