Civil Engineering Structural Internship Questions

In summary, the individual has 2 years left in their Civil BS program and plans to emphasize in structural engineering. They are currently enrolled in a co-op program and have completed one term, gaining experience in environmental work and developing skills in project management, communication, and teamwork. Their main question is whether they should stick with the co-op, even though it is not in structural engineering, or finish school and try to find an internship. The suggestion is to stay for one more term and try to transfer into a structural office, as this will provide valuable experience in the field and enhance job opportunities. Communication skills are also emphasized as important in any engineering field.
Jon1770
I have 2 years left in my Civil BS. I plan to do my emphasis in structural engineering. I am currently enrolled in my schools co-op program and have completed the first of my 3 terms. The office I am working in does environmental work. I am learning allot about project management, communication skills, and team work, so these skills should transfer over. My questions is should I stick out the co-op even though it is not structural engineering? Its at a huge company in a small office. The company does allot of structural work just none in the office I am in. I have talked about transferring offices. Here are my options I am considering:

1. Stay where I am for one more co-op term. Try to transfer offices for my final term. I have been told this can be done fairly easily. This leaves me with an open summer before my final semester that I can do whatever with.

2. Just finish school and start working. This leaves me with one summer I could try and find an internship.

3. Two more terms where I am.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Transfer into structural as soon as you can. Your experience in management, communication skills, and teamwork, is invaluable (as in extremely valuable). Now its time to move into the structural field, where you will not only gain more communication skills and more working as part of a 'team', but also gain experience in the field of structural engineering as well. With a structural degree and some limited structural experience, your job opportunities in that field will be enhanced, perhaps even at the same company where you are doing the internship.

Incidentally, you mentioned communication skills. I cannot emphasize enough how important this is in any field of engineering (or any other field, for that matter. Good Luck!

1. What is the purpose of a civil engineering structural internship?

A civil engineering structural internship provides students with hands-on experience in applying principles and techniques learned in the classroom to real-world projects. It also allows them to develop practical skills, gain industry knowledge, and build a professional network.

2. How long does a civil engineering structural internship typically last?

The duration of a civil engineering structural internship varies depending on the company and the program. It can range from a few weeks to several months. Some internships may even extend to a full year.

3. What types of tasks can I expect to work on during a civil engineering structural internship?

As an intern, you may be involved in a variety of tasks such as assisting with site inspections, drafting plans and designs, performing calculations, conducting research, and participating in project meetings. You may also have the opportunity to work on specific projects under the guidance of experienced engineers.

4. What skills and qualifications are required for a civil engineering structural internship?

Most internships require students to have completed at least two years of their civil engineering degree and have a strong academic background in subjects such as structural analysis, mechanics, and design. Additionally, having knowledge of software programs commonly used in the industry, such as AutoCAD and STAAD, is beneficial.

5. How can I make the most out of my civil engineering structural internship?

To make the most out of your internship, it is important to approach it with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Ask questions, take on new challenges, and actively seek feedback from your supervisors. Additionally, networking with professionals in the industry and keeping a record of your accomplishments and skills acquired can be beneficial for future job opportunities.