Help solving (complex) simultaneous equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a complex equation for two variables, x and \theta, in terms of y and a. The equation is manipulated by multiplying with y and taking the real and imaginary parts to create two equations. The conversation also mentions some attempts at solving the equation but no solution has been found yet.
KFC

Homework Statement

I am trying to solving the following complex equation for [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]

[tex]a\sinh(2x) e^{-i\theta} + y\sinh^2x e^{-i2\theta} + y^*\cosh^2(x) = 0[/tex]

where [tex]a[/tex] is real constant, [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] are also real parameter. [tex]y[/tex] is complex number, [tex]y^*[/tex] is the complex conjugate.

Solve for [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex] (in terms of y and a)

2. The attempt at a solution
Let
[tex]y = |y| e^{i\varphi}[/tex]

and multiply the equation with [tex]y[/tex]

[tex]ay\sinh(2x) e^{-i\theta} + y^2\sinh^2x e^{-i2\theta} + |y|^2\cosh^2(x) = 0[/tex]

Now let the real part and imaginary part equals ZERO.

[tex]
\begin{cases}
a\sinh(2x) |y|\cos(\theta-\varphi) + |y|^2\sinh^2(x)\cos(2\theta-2\varphi) + |y|^2\alpha^2 = 0, \\[3.8mm]
a\sinh(2x) |y|\sin(\theta-\varphi) + |y|^2\sinh^2(x)\sin(2\theta-2\varphi) = 0
\end{cases}
[/tex]

I tryied to solve that two days ago, I tried many way to simpliy that but still find no way to get the soluton. Could anyone give me some hints?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't make sense to me. How can you solve one equation for two variables? This seems to me like asking someone to solve y = 2x for x and y. You can solve the equation for y in terms of x, or you can solve for x in terms of y, but you can't solve it simultaneously for both variables.

Mark44 said:
This doesn't make sense to me. How can you solve one equation for two variables? This seems to me like asking someone to solve y = 2x for x and y. You can solve the equation for y in terms of x, or you can solve for x in terms of y, but you can't solve it simultaneously for both variables.

How come. This is a equation for complex variable, the real part and imaginary part gives two equations.

OK, I see.
[tex] a\sinh(2x) |y|\sin(\theta-\varphi) + |y|^2\sinh^2(x)\sin(2\theta-2\varphi) = 0[/tex]
In your 2nd equation, I think the sine arguments should be the other way around. Also, you can expand [itex]sin(2(\phi - \theta))[/itex] as [itex]2sin(\phi - \theta) cos(\phi - \theta)[/itex]. Then you'll have one factor the same in both terms, which hopefully leaves you with the other factor that you can do something with.

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a group of equations with multiple variables that must be solved together to find a common solution.

2. How do I solve simultaneous equations?

The most common method for solving simultaneous equations is through substitution or elimination. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then substituting or eliminating it in the other equations until a solution is found.

3. Can all simultaneous equations be solved?

No, not all simultaneous equations have a unique solution. Some may have no solution or an infinite number of solutions, depending on the equations and variables involved.

4. Are there any tips for solving complex simultaneous equations?

Some tips for solving complex simultaneous equations include starting by simplifying the equations as much as possible, using a systematic approach to substitution or elimination, and double-checking your solution by plugging it back into the original equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields to model and solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine optimal solutions in supply and demand, or analyze electrical circuits.