Help solving complicated integral

• Thread starter elkface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with an integral that involves an expression with a square root and trigonometric functions. They have tried factoring and using online integrators, but have not been successful. It is suggested that the integral is an elliptic integral, which cannot be solved using elementary functions. A link is provided to a routine for solving elliptic integrals, with a warning about potential issues with the routine.
elkface
This integral is not overly complicated, but I am having a little trouble with it - I haven't been in calc for a year almost, and it seems I have lost my integration abilities with it.

Here's the integral:
[tex]\int \sqrt{1 + (a \pi x^{a-1})^{2} \cos^{2}({\pi x^{a}})} dx[/tex]

I figure the best place to start is to factor out the inside expression and get rid of the square root, but even doing this I am lost.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your steps so far on your attempt to solve this integral?

Thanks
Matt

Well, to be honest, all I can seem to do is stare at it. I can't factor it, clearly, to get it separated into parts so that I could even attempt to do int. by parts or anything of that sort. I have tried Wolfram online integrator, but that doesn't work because it takes the server too long to process.

If anyone has software that could integrate this, or can recommend some (preferably freeware), I'd appreciate it. I don't need the work - I just need the answer.

If you replace [itex]cos^2[/itex] by [itex]1- sin^2[/itex] that becomes an elliptic integral which cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions.

Ok, thanks for the tip. In that case, I will probably not be able to put this integral to any good use, as I am not familiar with most non-elementary functions. Thanks anyway.

Here is a link to the Numerical Recipe C routine for solving eliptical integrals. Not sure if if will help you. Take caution when using the NR routines they can be problematic. You have been warned.

http://www.nrbook.com/a/bookcpdf/c6-11.pdf

Thanks
Matt

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the total accumulation of a quantity. It is essentially the opposite of differentiation, which is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why are integrals considered complicated?

Integrals can be complicated because they involve mathematical formulas and techniques that can be challenging to understand and apply. Additionally, the integrand (the function being integrated) can be complex and may require advanced mathematical knowledge to solve.

3. How do I know which method to use to solve an integral?

There are several methods for solving integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. To determine which method to use, you can try to simplify the integrand and see if it fits into any of the standard forms for integration. You can also consult a table of integrals or use a computer program or calculator to help you find the most appropriate method.

4. What is the best way to practice solving complicated integrals?

The best way to practice solving integrals is to start with simple examples and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also find practice problems online or in textbooks and work through them systematically, focusing on one method at a time. It is also helpful to review the rules and techniques for integration regularly to build your understanding and confidence.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving complicated integrals?

Yes, there are several tips and tricks that can make solving integrals easier. Some of these include recognizing patterns in the integrand, using trigonometric identities, and breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to understand the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus, which can make solving certain types of integrals more efficient.