1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Solving Differential Equations

1. Oct 9, 2014 #1
    Q1.

x2dy/dx + xy = x2sinx

I believe it is a separable equation (first order linear)

First step is to rewrite into standard form;

dy/dx + (xy)/x2 = (x2sin(x))/x2

Then to calculate the integrating factor I(x);

I(x) = e|(xy)/x2dx = eylnx = elnxy = xy

Then i need to multiply both sides of the d.e. by I(x)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This part is wrong -- e|(xy)/x2dx. In standard form, your equation is dy/dx + (1/x)y = sin(x). The coefficient of the y term is just 1/x, not y/x. With that correction, what should your integrating factor be?

BTW, this is NOT a precalculus question, so I moved it to the appropriate forum section.

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the tip, and moving the thread.

Here's what I've done;

NEW standard form (from old one)

dy/dx + (1/x)y = sinx

Integrating factor now becomes

I(x) = e|(1/x)dx = elnx = x

Multiplying both sides of the d.e. by I(x) gives;

x dy/dx + x(1/x)y = x sinx

x dy/dx + y = x sinx

Rewriting as d/dx(I(x)y)

d/dx(xy) = x sinx

Integrating both sides with respect to x

xy = x|sinx

xy = sinx - x cosx

y = (sinx)/x - cosx + C/x

How'd I go?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  5. Oct 9, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Differentiate what you got for y and plug it back into the original equation! That's what a solution to the equation means, after all.

6. Oct 9, 2014 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can't resist looking for a more elementary, simple way, of looking at it to see is there a simple
    d(of something) there, although having your more general method which will see you algorithmically through all problems of a given category is no doubt more valuable generally.

So looking at that, x2dy/dx can come from d(x2y)/dx which is x2dy/dx + 2xy which is nearly what you want but the factor 2 spoils it and there is no way to fiddle constants to hammer it to what you want, so try to divide the equation by x and then d(xy)/dx works perfectly and gives the same solution result as yours.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  7. Oct 9, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's the whole point of an "integrating factor". We want to find a function, u(x), such that multiplying dy/dx+ y/x by it will give a "complete differential". That is, we must have d(uy)/dx= u(dy/dx)+ (du/dx)y= u(dy/dx)+ (u/x)y. The "u(dy/dx)" terms cancel leaving du/dx= u/x. du/u= dx/x; ln(u)= ln(x)+ C, u= cx. Since we only need one such function, take c= 1. Then x(dy/dx+ y/x)= x(dy/dx)+ y= d(xy)/dx= xsin(x).

[itex]xy= \int x sin(x)dx[/itex]. Use integration by parts on the right.

8. Oct 9, 2014 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The 'I' character you're using to indicate an integral is very hard to spot, appearing identical to 'l' (lowercase L) and very close to '|' (vertical bar).
    Why not write it as d/dx(xy)?
    Why is the bar in there?
    You tell us. Once you have found a solution to a differential equation, you can (and should) check it by verifying that your solution satisfies the DE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted