HELP Stuck on an Infinite Series. Thanks

In summary, the conversation revolved around evaluating the infinite series \sum n^n/n! using the Ratio Test and showing that the resulting limit is equal to e. The person was having trouble algebraically simplifying the limit to lim((n+1)^n/n^n), but it was suggested to use the property of exponents \frac{a^{n}}{b^{n}}=(\frac{a}{b})^{n} and take the ln of both sides to evaluate the limit.
danerape
I have the infinite series...

[itex]\sum n^n/n![/itex]

somehow, I need to use the Ratio Test... and shoe that the resulting limit
is equal to e. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong algebraically.

Right now I have simplified this limit to lim((n+1)^n/n^n).

Please Help...

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
THE SERIES IS n^n/n!

danerape said:
I have the infinite series...

[itex]\sum n^n/n![/itex]

somehow, I need to use the Ratio Test... and shoe that the resulting limit
is equal to e. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong algebraically.

Right now I have simplified this limit to lim((n+1)^n/n^n).
This is the same as (1 + 1/n)n.

To evaluate a limit like this, let y = (1 + 1/n)n. Now take the ln of both sides, and then take the limit as n -> infinity. Your textbook should have an example of this type of limit.

I know how to evaluate this type of limit, my problem is algebraically getting to the point of writing lim((n+1)^n/n^n)=lim(1+1/n)^n. How do I go from my ratio test to seeing the limit as equal to the latter limit?

Thanks

It's fairly basic algebra.
[tex]\frac{(n + 1)^n}{n^n} = \left(\frac{n+1}{n}\right)^n[/tex]

Wow, third shift is really getting to me. Thanks Alot.

You should all ready know this property of exponents:

[itex]\frac{a^{n}}{b^{n}}[/itex]=([itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex]

Bleh...too late. I fail at tex. lol

What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is written in the form of a_n + a_n+1 + a_n+2 + …, where a_n is the nth term of the series.

How do I know if a series is convergent or divergent?

A series is convergent if the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. It is divergent if the sum of its terms does not approach a finite value. There are various tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the comparison test, ratio test, and integral test.

What is the purpose of an infinite series?

Infinite series are used in mathematics to represent functions, approximate values, and solve problems in areas such as calculus, physics, and engineering. They also have applications in real-world scenarios, such as calculating interest rates and compound growth.

How do I find the sum of an infinite series?

Finding the sum of an infinite series can be done through various methods, such as using a formula or applying a convergence test. If the series is convergent, the sum can be found by adding all the terms together. However, if the series is divergent, the sum does not exist.

What can I do if I am stuck on an infinite series?

If you are stuck on an infinite series, you can try using different convergence tests or seeking help from a tutor or professor. It may also be helpful to review the basic principles and properties of infinite series. Don't be afraid to ask for assistance or clarification if needed.