Help The force between copper pennies.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equal charges on the electron and proton and how a small difference in their magnitudes can lead to a measurable force between two objects. The problem involves calculating the force between two copper pennies placed 1.0m apart, assuming a small difference of 0.00010% in the charges. The solution involves finding the number of protons and electrons in a penny and using the force formula to calculate the force between the two pennies.
ZoroP

Homework Statement

We know that, within the limits of measurement, the magnitudes of negative charge on the electron and the positive charge on the proton are equal. Suppose, however, that these magnitudes differed from each other by as little as 0.00010%. With what force would two copper pennies, placed 1.0m apart, then repel each other? What do you conclude? Assume a penny has a mass of 3.11g and is made of copper (atomic weight = 63.5 g/mol, and atomic number = 29)

Homework Equations

F = kq^2/r^2 and 1mol = 6.02*10^23

The Attempt at a Solution

There are many given conditions, but it seems some of them are non-use. I absolutely got confused. Shall I find the number of the atomic first? Like 3.11*6.02*10^23/63.5 but what is the difference between this and 29? And how to use 0.00010%? =.= Help Please~

Physics news on Phys.org
ZoroP said:
… Assume a penny has a mass of 3.11g and is made of copper (atomic weight = 63.5 g/mol, and atomic number = 29)

F = kq^2/r^2 and 1mol = 6.02*10^23

There are many given conditions, but it seems some of them are non-use. I absolutely got confused. Shall I find the number of the atomic first? Like 3.11*6.02*10^23/63.5 but what is the difference between this and 29? And how to use 0.00010%?

Hi ZoroP! :smile:

The atomic number is the number of protons per molecule. In this case, it will also be the number of electrons per molecule. :smile:

Hello ZoroP,

I think the crux of this problem is to explain WHY we know that the proton and electron each have the same charge. If they differed, as the problem suggest we pretend, then there would be a measureable force. The 0.00010% is the pretend difference in charge between the electron and the proton (it doesn't matter in this case which one is charged more, so just pick one) and see if you can determine the excess charge in a single proton-electron pair and see if you can extrapolate to an entire penny from there.

tiny-tim said:
Hi ZoroP! :smile:

The atomic number is the number of protons per molecule. In this case, it will also be the number of electrons per molecule. :smile:

Hi tiny or tim~ :smile: thanks very much~. But I'm sorry that I may get some misunderstanding with molecule, it is a number unit, right? Like 1 mol C atomic = 6.02×1023 C atomic? Then where does 29 come from and am I useing the right method for calculate the number (3.11*6.02*10^23/63.5)? Thank you~

yaychemistry said:
Hello ZoroP,

I think the crux of this problem is to explain WHY we know that the proton and electron each have the same charge. If they differed, as the problem suggest we pretend, then there would be a measureable force. The 0.00010% is the pretend difference in charge between the electron and the proton (it doesn't matter in this case which one is charged more, so just pick one) and see if you can determine the excess charge in a single proton-electron pair and see if you can extrapolate to an entire penny from there.

Thx, yay~ well, it seems u like chemistry very much! Thank you for helping my Phys~
Yeah, i agree with you that the 0.00010% is the point of the question, but i sitll don't know how to use it and what its meanning is here. Maybe it will show the question "what do you conclude?" And your measureable force is an interesting idea/word~:smile:, so by your method the kq^2/r^2 should be changed like k(1+0.00010%)q^2/r^2?

ZoroP said:
Shall I find the number of the atomic first? Like 3.11*6.02*10^23/63.5

That is a good start. What does that number represent?

Redbelly98 said:
That is a good start. What does that number represent?

I need to know that how many atomic there are in the penny, so I use the mass of the penny divides the mass of an atomic. Thanks.

Good.

Next: how many protons and electrons are in a penny, if there are that many (expression shown in post #6) atoms in a penny?

edit: signing off for the night ... good luck.

Redbelly98 said:
Good.

Next: how many protons and electrons are in a penny, if there are that many (expression shown in post #6) atoms in a penny?

edit: signing off for the night ... good luck.

I think i get the method, thanks a lot.

Hello again,
I think I should clarify what I was trying to say earlier with an example. Let's say an electron has 0.00010% more charge than a proton e.g. a proton has a charge of +1q and the electron has a charge of -1.0000010q. If I take a proton and an electron together (perhaps bind them together in an atom) the NET charge (e.g. sum of charges of electron and protons) is
[tex]1q - 1.0000010q = 0.0000010q[/tex].
That is, each proton-electron pair has an excesss charge of 0.0000010q. So for the penny problem, you must sum the total number of proton-electron pairs in a penny and that will give you the charge on each penny. And then you can use the force formula to calculate the force.
Hope this helps more.

1. How does the force between copper pennies work?

The force between copper pennies is a result of electromagnetic interactions between their atoms. The electrons in each penny repel each other due to their negative charge, creating a repulsive force between the two coins.

2. Why do copper pennies have a stronger force compared to other coins?

Copper pennies have a stronger force because copper is a better conductor of electricity compared to other metals used in coins, such as nickel or zinc. This allows for a higher concentration of electrons, resulting in a greater repulsive force.

3. Can the force between copper pennies be measured?

Yes, the force between copper pennies can be measured using a sensitive scale, such as a microbalance. By placing the pennies at a specific distance and measuring the force needed to separate them, the force between them can be determined.

4. Is the force between copper pennies affected by other factors?

Yes, the force between copper pennies can be affected by factors such as temperature and humidity. This is because these factors can alter the conductivity of the pennies, thus changing the strength of the force between them.

5. How does the force between copper pennies relate to physics concepts?

The force between copper pennies is an example of Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It also relates to the concept of electrostatics and the behavior of charged particles.