Help understanding/evaluating line integral over a curve

In summary, the line integral gives me an approximate answer of 860.3. The answer is wrong if the integral is not entered accurately.
Kaldanis
Evaluate the line integral, where C is the given curve.

[itex]\int_{c} xy\:ds[/itex], when C: [itex]x=t^{2}, \ y=2t\ , \ 0\leq t\leq4[/itex]

To solve this I should use the formula [itex]\int^{b}_{a} f(x(t),y(t))\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}+(\frac{dy}{dt})^{2}}dt[/itex]

This gives me [itex]\int^{4}_{0} (t^{2}2t)\sqrt{(2t)^{2}+(2)^{2}}dt[/itex]

When I solve this integral I get around 860.3. I've had various friends solve it and also checked on my calculator and wolfram, all getting 860.3 each time. I've been told this answer is wrong which leads me to believe I'm using the formula incorrectly. Is my integral above correct? Is it wrong to just plain solve the integral from 0 to 4?

I appreciate any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Who tells you the answer is wrong?

It's for online homework that only accepts the correct answer. I can only enter answers so many times before the question is locked, so I want to be sure of the answer before I enter it again

Kaldanis said:
Evaluate the line integral, where C is the given curve.

[itex]\int_{c} xy\:ds[/itex], when C: [itex]x=t^{2}, \ y=2t\ , \ 0\leq t\leq4[/itex]

To solve this I should use the formula [itex]\int^{b}_{a} f(x(t),y(t))\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}+(\frac{dy}{dt})^{2}}dt[/itex]

This gives me [itex]\int^{4}_{0} (t^{2}2t)\sqrt{(2t)^{2}+(2)^{2}}dt[/itex]

When I solve this integral I get around 860.3. I've had various friends solve it and also checked on my calculator and wolfram, all getting 860.3 each time. I've been told this answer is wrong which leads me to believe I'm using the formula incorrectly. Is my integral above correct? Is it wrong to just plain solve the integral from 0 to 4?

I appreciate any help
How about entering the exact answer.

Is it possible to enter square roots, etc?

The thing that occurs to me is to check the decimal places it wants. 860.34?
If there is nothing to tell you (context - how many dp is usually wanted?) then you should tell the person who set the exercise (check with other students).

afaict, there is nothing wrong with the working.

looks ok to me! :smile:

(btw, i assume you used an algebraic substitution, and not a trig one? :wink:)

Thank you everyone, the problem was that I was entering an approximate decimal value. It accepted [itex]\frac{8}{15}(1+391\sqrt{17})[/itex] as the correct answer!

grrr... we hates computer mediated assessments oh we does!

Simon Bridge said:
grrr... we hates computer mediated assessments oh we does!

:rofl:

1. What is a line integral over a curve?

A line integral over a curve is a mathematical concept used to calculate the integral of a function along a specific path or curve in a two or three-dimensional space. It involves breaking up the curve into small segments and calculating the sum of the function values along each segment.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating a line integral over a curve?

The purpose of evaluating a line integral over a curve is to determine the total value of a function along a specific path or curve. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the path of a moving object or the flow of a field needs to be calculated.

3. How is a line integral over a curve calculated?

A line integral over a curve can be calculated by first parametrizing the curve with a parameter t, then substituting the parametric equations into the integrand. Next, the integral is evaluated using standard integration techniques. The result is a single value representing the total sum of the function along the curve.

4. What is the difference between a line integral over a curve and a regular integral?

The main difference between a line integral over a curve and a regular integral is the path of integration. In a regular integral, the path of integration is a straight line, whereas in a line integral over a curve, the path of integration follows a specific curve or path. This results in a different value for the integral.

5. How is a line integral over a curve used in real-life applications?

A line integral over a curve is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating work done by a force along a specific path, calculating the circulation of a fluid along a given path, and determining the electric potential or gravitational potential along a specific path. It is also used in fields such as computer graphics and image processing to calculate the intensity of light or color along a curve.