Help understanding open resistors.

• Thread starter jaredogden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the book was discussing troubleshooting open resistors for resistors in series. If there is no current flowing through the resistor, then the voltage across it is infinite.
jaredogden
I was reading through my circuits book for a beginning EE course and the book was going over troubleshooting open resistors for resistors in series.

I understand that no current will be measured across the resistor because the current path has been cut off. I don't understand how the full source voltage would be measured across that resistor though.

In my mind if there is no current how can there be full source voltage? Maybe I am not full understanding voltage and current? Or is there something else that can explain wha they were talking about?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jaredogden said:
I was reading through my circuits book for a beginning EE course and the book was going over troubleshooting open resistors for resistors in series.

I understand that no current will be measured across the resistor because the current path has been cut off. I don't understand how the full source voltage would be measured across that resistor though.

In my mind if there is no current how can there be full source voltage? Maybe I am not full understanding voltage and current? Or is there something else that can explain wha they were talking about?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First, let's fix this:

no current will be measured across the resistor

You either measure the voltage across a resistor, or the current through it.

Next, the reason you can have a voltage with no current is because the resistance is infinite for an open circuit. So V=IR still works, since infinity multiplied by 0 can be a regular number.

EDIT -- just like a battery sitting on a table has an open circuit voltage across it, but no current is flowing.

I knew that looked wrong saying current through a resistor thanks for clearing that up.

Thanks for the example and explanation that makes perfect sense now.

1. What is an open resistor?

An open resistor is a type of electrical component that has a high resistance value, meaning it restricts the flow of electric current. It is called an "open" resistor because it does not have a continuous path for the electric current to flow through, unlike a closed or connected resistor.

2. How does an open resistor affect an electrical circuit?

An open resistor can have a significant impact on an electrical circuit. It can cause a decrease in current flow, which can lead to a decrease in voltage and power. This can result in the circuit not functioning properly or not functioning at all.

3. How can I identify an open resistor?

An open resistor can be identified by using a multimeter, which is a tool that measures electrical properties. By measuring the resistance of the resistor, if the value is significantly higher than the expected value, it is likely that the resistor is open.

4. What causes a resistor to become open?

There are several reasons why a resistor may become open. It could be due to physical damage, such as a crack or break in the resistor. It could also be due to overheating or exceeding its power rating, causing the resistor to burn out. Poor soldering or incorrect installation can also lead to an open resistor.

5. Can an open resistor be fixed?

In most cases, an open resistor cannot be fixed and must be replaced. However, if the cause of the open resistor is due to a poor soldering job or incorrect installation, fixing the issue may solve the problem. Otherwise, it is best to replace the open resistor to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.