Help understanding the Chain Rule book for derivatives

In summary, the conversation revolves around the confusion regarding the proof of the chain rule for derivatives. The participants discuss different ways to approach the proof and the difficulty in fully understanding it. They also mention alternative ways to prove the chain rule.
MidgetDwarf
After completing calculus 2 with an A I now realize I know nothing of mathematics. We used stewart calculus and I did not really like it, due to a lot of hand waiving.

I got an older edition of thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed, and so far I'm having a blast learning proofs from this book and the insight the author has.

I'm confused on p 78 from thomas about the proof of the chain rule for derivatives.

We are given x=f (t) and y=g (t) which are parametric equations.

If y=F (x) is a differential able function of x and x=f (t) is a differentiable function of t, then y=F [f(t)]=g (t)
is a differentiable function of t and g'(t)=F'(x) f'(t), or in other words dy/dx=(dy/dx)(dx/dt).

My attempt,

G: y=F [f (t) ]

Take the derivative of outside y=F (x) with respect to x.

Here is what is confusing me. If I take the derivative of the above function. It is dy/dx=F'(x)

Then taking the derivative of the inside function x=f (t) with respect to t.

Becomes dx/dt=f'(t)

Now we cancel out terms:(dy/dx)(dx/dt)=(dy/dt) ?

Can anyone she'd light on this please.

There is more to the proof where we have to use Linearization proof ( this part I understand).
Sorry for the winded post I'm pulling my beard out the night before Christmas trying to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:
We are given x=f (t) and y=g (t) which are parametric equations.

If y=F (x) is a differential able function of x and x=f (t) is a differentiable function of t, then y=F [f(t)]=g (t)
is a differentiable function of t and g'(t)=F'(x) f'(t), or in other words dy/dx=(dy/dx)(dx/dt).

My attempt,

G: y=F [f (t) ]

Take the derivative of outside y=F (x) with respect to x.

Here is what is confusing me. If I take the derivative of the above function. It is dy/dx=F'(x)

Then taking the derivative of the inside function x=f (t) with respect to t.

Becomes dx/dt=f'(t)

Now we cancel out terms:(dy/dx)(dx/dt)=(dy/dt) ?

Can anyone she'd light on this please.

There is more to the proof where we have to use Linearization proof ( this part I understand).
Sorry for the winded post I'm pulling my beard out the night before Christmas trying to figure it out.
There's no cancellation in ##\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}##. dx, dy, dt are usually left undefined. I don't know a way to define them that enables you to view the chain rule as an example of a cancellation.

I prefer the following presentation of the chain rule:

I will never call f(x) a function. f is the function. f(x) is its value at x. So f(x) is typically a number.

Let f and g be functions such that the range of g is a subset of the domain of f. Then we can define a new function ##f\circ g## by ##(f\circ g)(x)=f(g(x))## for all x in the domain of g. The function ##f\circ g## is called the composition of f and g. The chain rule says that
$$(f\circ g)'(x)=f'(g(x))g'(x)$$ for all x in the domain of g.

There are many ways to prove this result. Unfortunately they're all kind of difficult. The straightforward proof (a direct application of the definitions of limit and derivative) is kind of complicated, and the short proofs are tricky. See posts #6 and #7 here for a non-rigorous argument followed by a proof.

Fredrik said:
There's no cancellation in ##\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}##. dx, dy, dt are usually left undefined. I don't know a way to define them that enables you to view the chain rule as an example of a cancellation.

I prefer the following presentation of the chain rule:

I will never call f(x) a function. f is the function. f(x) is its value at x. So f(x) is typically a number.

Let f and g be functions such that the range of g is a subset of the domain of f. Then we can define a new function ##f\circ g## by ##(f\circ g)(x)=f(g(x))## for all x in the domain of g. The function ##f\circ g## is called the composition of f and g. The chain rule says that
$$(f\circ g)'(x)=f'(g(x))g'(x)$$ for all x in the domain of g.

There are many ways to prove this result. Unfortunately they're all kind of difficult. The straightforward proof (a direct application of the definitions of limit and derivative) is kind of complicated, and the short proofs are tricky. See posts #6 and #7 here for a non-rigorous argument followed by a proof.

Thank you Mr Fredrick, for the alternative ways to prove the chain rule. It seems that It is currently beyond my level to fully grasp the proof. I will study it a bit more to see if I can get more insight. I really appreciate it.

What is the Chain Rule?

The Chain Rule is a mathematical concept used in calculus to determine the rate of change of a composite function. It is used to find the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions.

Why is the Chain Rule important in derivatives?

The Chain Rule is important in derivatives because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. This makes it easier to calculate the rate of change at a specific point.

How do I use the Chain Rule in practice?

To use the Chain Rule in practice, you need to identify the composite function and break it down into its individual functions. Then, multiply the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function. This will give you the final derivative of the composite function.

What are some common mistakes when using the Chain Rule?

One common mistake when using the Chain Rule is forgetting to multiply the derivatives of the outer and inner functions. Another mistake is mixing up the order of the functions, which can lead to incorrect results.

How can I practice and improve my understanding of the Chain Rule?

You can practice and improve your understanding of the Chain Rule by solving various problems that involve composite functions. You can also watch tutorial videos and work through example problems to better understand the concept.