Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help understanding the solution to this fraction problem.

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1

Please see the attachment.

I really don't understand what the M/7 and the L/13 represents. How did he(authors) logically derive to that? And also, I don't understand how finding the value in-between M/7 and L/13 (M+L/20) helps them come up with the solution and the proof.

Thank you,
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    Where is the attachment?
  4. Dec 9, 2008 #3
    Here, How about this?

Attached Files:

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    Given an integer k from 1 to 6, and an integer l from 1 to 12, k/7 and l/13 are positions of a red mark and a green mark, respectively (where the stick goes from 0 to 1). The idea is that in between any red mark and any green mark, there is a point at (k + l)/20 where the stick is cut (since the stick is cut at 1/20 intervals).
  6. Dec 9, 2008 #5

Alright, so k and l are representing any one valid mark at a time on the stick. And (k+l)/20 is the point in-between any two of the respective red and green marks, right?

Now, it is making sense to me. I was very confused about what k/7 and l/13 meant.

Thank you very much for your time. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?