1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help visualising this triangle!

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I think this must be really easy but im not getting a visual for this triangle description.

Let ABC be a triangle with [itex]\UparrowOA[/itex]=a and [itex]/UparrowOB[/itex]=b and [itex]/UparrowOC[/itex] = c
    Where O is the origin .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

How can I have a triangle ABC where all A,B,C are sides coming from O

The way i'm looking at this is I have a point O, where the lines A,B,C start from ie, A,B,C only have one available endpoint.

So how can these lines make a triangle without introducing a new line??

Clearly, I am imagining things wrong here, I tried drawing it but it still didn't work. Help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See attachment.

ehild

Attached Files:

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    thank you sir!!

5. Apr 14, 2012 #4
    Hmm I have a question related to this triangle and it asks

i) If M is the midpoint of the line segment AB and P is the midpoint of the line segment CB express the vectors [itex]\vec OM[/itex] and [itex]\vec OP[/itex] in terms of a,b, and c.

ii) Show that [itex]\vec MP[/itex] is parallel to [itex]\vec AC[/itex] and has half its length.

Ok for part i) the answer is 1/2(b-a), 1/2(b-c), but to me it should be 1/2(b+a), 1/2(b+c).... as if you were to minus a or c does that not imply that you 'attach a/c to the end of vector b or in this case 1/2b and 1/2 (c,a)...
    I think the difficulty im having is understanding the direction in the vector, how do I know which way it is 'pointing' so to speak??

in this situation what would the addition of the vectors look like?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  6. Apr 14, 2012 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

If your answer is that [itex]\vec{OM} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex](a + b) and that [itex]\vec{OP} = \frac{1}{2}[/itex](b + c),

then you are, in fact, right (and the book is wrong). a, b and c are position vectors - which means they define the positions of points A, B and C respectively with respect to a common origin O. By convention, they *always* point outward from the origin O toward the terminal point. So a = [itex]\vec{OA}[/itex], etc.

7. Apr 14, 2012 #6
    OK just wanted to clear that up yeah in the book the have 1/2(b-a),1/2(b-c)... thanks for the quick reply! Keep it ℝeal!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook