Help with a complex integration in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral involving a non-negative dummy variable of integration and the possibility of relabeling it for easier computation. It also mentions the concept of analytical continuation and its use in simplifying calculations.
thisisphysics
Homework Statement
Hey! So I'm reading a physics book, and they're evaluating this integral: https://imgur.com/DnpYvs6. I'm confused about their statement on the next page. They say that $$e^{i |p| |x|}$$ is exponentially decreasing for large imaginary values of $$|p|$$. Now, I'm confused on how |p| can be negative; isn't it real-valued since we're taking the modulus? Someone mentioned that the modulus can be defined as the square root of the expectation value of p, which would then be complex, but this is something I've never come across, I'm used to the following definition of the modulus: $$|a+ib| = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}$$. Is this not true here? Any help appreciated!
Relevant Equations
N/A
N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
thisisphysics said:
Problem Statement: Hey! So I'm reading a physics book

You should always identify the source (in this case, Lancaster and Blundell), as it is possible to unknowingly omit relevant content (in this case, I don't think that you did).

thisisphysics said:
they're evaluating this integral: . I'm confused about their statement on the next page. They say that $$e^{i |p| |x|}$$ is exponentially decreasing for large imaginary values of $$|p|$$. Now, I'm confused on how |p| can be negative

Note that in the first two lines of (8.18), ##\left| \bf{p} \right|## is a non-negative dummy variable of integration, and thus can be relabeled to anything, e.g., Fred or George or thisisphysics. More conventionally, relabel the dummy variable integration ##\left| \bf{p} \right|## to ##u##. What happens?

Likes thisisphysics
George Jones said:
You should always identify the source (in this case, Lancaster and Blundell), as it is possible to unknowingly omit relevant content (in this case, I don't think that you did).
Note that in the first two lines of (8.18), ##\left| \bf{p} \right|## is a non-negative dummy variable of integration, and thus can be relabeled to anything, e.g., Fred or George or thisisphysics. More conventionally, relabel the dummy variable integration ##\left| \bf{p} \right|## to ##u##. What happens?
Thank you so much! I mulled over it, and I understand now. I appreciate it.

Even when a physical quantity appearing in a function has to be real-valued (and in this case, non-negative too), it is sometimes possible to think of an analytical continuation of the function to imaginary values of that variable. It is just a mathematical trick that makes the calculation of some integrals easier. A similar computational trick in QM is to allow complex values of the time variable.

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory. It is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions in the quantum realm. It combines principles from quantum mechanics and special relativity to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces of nature.

2. What is a complex integration in QFT?

In QFT, complex integration refers to the use of complex numbers in the mathematical calculations involved in the theory. This is necessary because the behavior of particles at the quantum level is described using complex numbers.

3. Why is complex integration important in QFT?

Complex integration is important in QFT because it allows for a more accurate and precise description of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also allows for the calculation of important quantities such as scattering amplitudes and Feynman diagrams.

4. How do you approach a complex integration in QFT?

To approach a complex integration in QFT, one must first understand the mathematical principles and equations involved in the theory. This includes knowledge of complex numbers, contour integration, and the use of special functions such as Bessel and Gamma functions. It is also important to have a strong understanding of the physical concepts and phenomena being studied.

5. What are some challenges of complex integration in QFT?

Some challenges of complex integration in QFT include the complex nature of the equations involved, the need for advanced mathematical techniques, and the potential for divergent or infinite results. It also requires a deep understanding of the physical concepts and phenomena being studied, which can be difficult to grasp at the quantum level.