Help with a Linear Algebra problem please

In summary: ##u \oplus (1 + 1) = u####u \oplus (1 + u) = u####u \oplus (u + 1) = u####u \oplus (u + u) = u####u \oplus (u + v) = u####u \oplus (u + (v + 1)) = u####u \oplus (u + (v + 2)) = u####u \oplus (u + (v + 3)) = u####u \oplus (u + (v + 4)) = u####
MyoPhilosopher
Homework Statement
Testing Linear Algebra Rules on following statement
Relevant Equations
R1. u + v = v+u
R2. u + (v + z) = (u + v) + z
R3.1 z + v = v
R3.2 u + z = v
For the following statement:
V = R ≥ 1; x ⊕ y = max (x,y), with z = 1

My attempt is as follows:

1581251928309.png

Should R3 be z ⊕ (x ⊕ y)?
I am confused at to the notation of this rule. Moreover, I am struggling to find examples and answers of such problems in linear algebra online.
Should I always view such questions (with x,y) as x representing "u" and y representing "v"?

Thank you

Attachments

• LinearAlgebraAttempt.pdf
    348.2 KB · Views: 161
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing to some extent about what you are doing.

The first problem is you seem to be using ##z## as an arbitrary real number and as a "zero"?

The other problem is that sometimes you use ##x + y = x \oplus y = max(x, y)## and sometimes you use normal addition. For example, what I believe you are trying to test is whether, for all ##x, y, z##:

##(x \oplus y) \oplus z = x \oplus (y \oplus z)##

PeroK said:
I'm guessing to some extent about what you are doing.

The first problem is you seem to be using ##z## as an arbitrary real number and as a "zero"?

The other problem is that sometimes you use ##x + y = x \oplus y = max(x, y)## and sometimes you use normal addition. For example, what I believe you are trying to test is whether, for all ##x, y, z##:

##(x \oplus y) \oplus z = x \oplus (y \oplus z)##
Yes you are correct I severely overlooked that one...
Would you mind explaining to me what the 3rd rule attempts to prove mathematically:
Should it be z ⊕ (x ⊕ y) = x ⊕ y
or z ⊕ x = x AND THEN z ⊕ y = y

MyoPhilosopher said:
Yes you are correct I severely overlooked that one...
Would you mind explaining to me what the 3rd rule attempts to prove mathematically:
Should it be z ⊕ (x ⊕ y) = x ⊕ y
or z ⊕ x = x AND THEN z ⊕ y = y

I assume you want to use ##z## for the additive identity (normally denoted ##0##) and in this case show whether or not the number ##1## has the properties of an additive identity. Let's use ##z## for this, although I've never seen that notation before. In case, let's use ##u, v, w## as our vectors. You need to show that for all ##u## we have:

##u \oplus 1 = u##
##1 \oplus u = u##

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It involves the study of mathematical structures and operations that are used to solve systems of linear equations and analyze their properties.

2. What are the common applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has numerous applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, computer science, and statistics. It is used to solve optimization problems, analyze data, and develop algorithms for computer programs.

3. Can you explain the concept of a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent data or perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Matrices are an essential part of Linear Algebra and are used to solve systems of linear equations.

4. How can I solve a Linear Algebra problem?

To solve a Linear Algebra problem, you need to understand the concepts and principles of the subject. Start by identifying the type of problem you are dealing with and then apply the appropriate methods and techniques to solve it. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of problems to improve your skills.

5. Are there any resources available to help with Linear Algebra problems?

Yes, there are various resources available to help with Linear Algebra problems. You can find textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems to enhance your understanding of the subject. Additionally, you can seek help from tutors, study groups, or online forums to get assistance with specific problems.