Help with a mechanical energy exercise

In summary, a spring cannon is used to shoot a 75g marble from a platform located 1.2m from the ground. With a spring compression of 25mm, the ball hits the ground 4.2m from the base of the platform. The problem asks for the mechanical energy of the ball during motion, the "k" constant factor of the spring, and the distance the ball would hit the ground with a compression of 37mm. Using the principle of conservation of energy, the mechanical energy can be calculated by subtracting the initial potential energy from the final kinetic energy. To find the velocity, the distance the ball moves in the x- and y-directions can be used.
Felafel

Homework Statement

A spring cannon is used to shot horizontally a marble mall, whose mass is 75g, from a platform located 1.2 m from the ground. If the spring compression is 25 mm, the ball hits the ground 4,2m from the base of the platform. Not taking friction into account, determine:
1-the mechanical energy of the ball during the motion
2-the "k" constant factor of the spring
3-how far the ball would hit the ground if the compression were 37mm.

The Attempt at a Solution

With no friction, i can use the principle of conservation of energy

I want to compute the mechanical energy for the top of the platform.
##E_i=E_f## ##\Rightarrow## ##U_i+K_i=U_f+K_f##
But ##K_i = 0## because the ball is not moving yet, and ##U_f=0## So,
##U_i-K_f=E## ##\Rightarrow## ##E=\frac{1}{2} k x^2 - \frac{1}{2} m v^2##

However, I keep having two variables: velocity and k, and I don't know how to find the value of any of the two, even using other formulas. Can anyone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the ball leaves the platform, you know the distance it moves in the x- and y-directions.
So you can work out its speed at this point.
That will help you with the rest of the problem.

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is a form of energy that is possessed by an object due to its motion or position. It can be either kinetic energy, which is the energy an object has due to its motion, or potential energy, which is the energy an object has due to its position or condition.

2. How do you calculate mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is calculated by adding the kinetic energy and potential energy of an object. The formula is E = KE + PE, where E is the total mechanical energy, KE is the kinetic energy, and PE is the potential energy.

3. Can mechanical energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a moving object collides with another object, some of its mechanical energy is converted into heat and sound energy.

4. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, and a spinning top. In all these cases, the objects possess both kinetic and potential energy.

5. How is mechanical energy important in everyday life?

Mechanical energy is important in everyday life as it is the energy that allows objects to move and perform work. It is used in various forms of transportation, such as cars and trains, and is also harnessed to generate electricity in power plants.