1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a relativity question

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. ok, my dad and I are trying to solve this problem, but we're both having difficulty:
    "When the moving sidewalk at the airport is broken, as it often seems to be, it takes you 50 s to walk from your gate to baggage claim. When it is working and you stand on the moving sidewalk the entire way, it takes 75 s to travel the same distance. How long will it take you to travel from the gate to baggage claim?

3. I think it has something to do with ratios, but he said something about derivatives. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    t=d/(v1+v2)=d/(d/t1 +d/t2)=t1*t2/(t1+t2)

Should help?

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3

lewando

Gold Member

Still trying to find out what you are asking:

4 scenarios:
    Broken -- standing = ∞ s
    Broken -- walking = 50 s
    Working --standing = 75 s
    Working --walking = ??? is this what you are trying to find out?

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4
    i believe so. the question is asking how long will it take to get to baggage claim if the machine is working and you are walking on in.

6. Oct 5, 2011 #5

lewando

Gold Member

Are we thinking (like in regular airports) there is a section, d1, of a non-moving floor and a section, d2, of a moving sidewalk?

7. Oct 5, 2011 #6
    yes i think so. i copied the question exactly.
    iRaid- how did you get from d/(d/t1+d/t2)=t1*t2/t1+t2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook