Help with a relativity question

• Thread starter Roscoe1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a moving sidewalk at an airport. The question is how long it will take to travel from the gate to baggage claim under different scenarios. The group is trying to use ratios and derivatives to solve the problem.
Roscoe1989
1. ok, my dad and I are trying to solve this problem, but we're both having difficulty:
"When the moving sidewalk at the airport is broken, as it often seems to be, it takes you 50 s to walk from your gate to baggage claim. When it is working and you stand on the moving sidewalk the entire way, it takes 75 s to travel the same distance. How long will it take you to travel from the gate to baggage claim?

3. I think it has something to do with ratios, but he said something about derivatives. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
t=d/(v1+v2)=d/(d/t1 +d/t2)=t1*t2/(t1+t2)

Should help?

How long will it take you to travel from the gate to baggage claim?

Still trying to find out what you are asking:

4 scenarios:
Broken -- standing = ∞ s
Broken -- walking = 50 s
Working --standing = 75 s
Working --walking = ? is this what you are trying to find out?

i believe so. the question is asking how long will it take to get to baggage claim if the machine is working and you are walking on in.

Are we thinking (like in regular airports) there is a section, d1, of a non-moving floor and a section, d2, of a moving sidewalk?

yes i think so. i copied the question exactly.
iRaid- how did you get from d/(d/t1+d/t2)=t1*t2/t1+t2?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental concept in physics that was first proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. There are two main theories of relativity: special relativity, which deals with objects moving at constant speeds, and general relativity, which includes the effects of gravity.

2. How does relativity affect our everyday lives?

Relativity plays a role in modern technology, as it helps us understand and develop technologies like GPS and satellite communications. It also has implications for our understanding of the universe and the behavior of objects at extreme speeds or in strong gravitational fields. However, the effects of relativity are not noticeable in our daily lives, as they are only significant at very high speeds or in extreme conditions.

3. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds in a straight line, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and non-inertial frames of reference. Special relativity is based on the principle of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light, while general relativity incorporates the concept of curved spacetime and the effects of gravity on the movement of objects.

4. How does time dilation work in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by relativity that states that time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. This means that time is not absolute, but rather relative to the observer's frame of reference. The faster an object moves or the stronger the gravitational field, the more time dilation occurs.

5. Can you provide an example of how relativity has been confirmed through experiments?

One of the most famous examples of how relativity has been confirmed through experiments is the measurement of the bending of starlight near the sun during a solar eclipse. This confirmed Einstein's prediction that massive objects, like the sun, can bend the path of light due to the curvature of spacetime. Other experiments, such as the measurement of the decay rate of particles at high speeds, have also confirmed the predictions of relativity.