How to Calculate Velocity of a River Using Relative Motion Equations?

In summary, there are two problems posed involving velocities and distances. In the first problem, a boat travels downstream and upstream and the formula v= v' + V is used to calculate the velocity of the river. In the second problem, velocities on a moving sidewalk and walking are combined to find the total velocity. The solution is to use an arbitrary distance and solve for each velocity.
JoshMP

Homework Statement

1. A boat takes 3 hours to travel 30 km down a river, then 5 hours to return. How fast is the river flowing?

2. Taking a moving sidewalk, without walking, takes 75 seconds to arrive at baggage claim. Walking, not on the moving sidewalk, takes 50 seconds. How long will it take you to travel the same distance if you walk while riding on the moving sidewalk?

Homework Equations

v= v' + V

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answers, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to set them up mathematically. I am confused how the formula above (given by Galileo) is used for these problems. Any help would be great.

Thanks a lot,
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You have two parts, downstream and upstream. Going downstream the velocity of the river is in the same direction as the velocity of the boat. Going upstream the velocity of the river opposes the velocity of the boat.

2. Well the velocity of walking on the moving sidewalk is the velocity of walking + the velocity of the moving sidewalk. Use an arbitrary distance, x, and figure out what each velocity is.

Ergo, the boat travels 10km/hr downstream, and 6 km/hr upstream. It would make sense that the velocity of the river is 2 km/hr, but, again, I don't know how to prove it mathematically.

What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the movement of an object in relation to another object or observer. It takes into account the position, velocity, and acceleration of both objects.

How do you solve relative motion problems?

To solve relative motion problems, you can use the relative velocity formula: VAB = VA - VB. This formula calculates the velocity of object A with respect to object B. You can also use vector addition and subtraction to find the combined velocity of multiple objects.

What is the difference between relative motion and absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the movement of one object in relation to another, while absolute motion refers to the actual position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in space.

How does the frame of reference affect relative motion?

The frame of reference is the point from which measurements of motion are taken. It can affect relative motion because different observers may have different frames of reference and therefore measure different velocities and accelerations for the same objects.

What are some real-life examples of relative motion?

Some examples of relative motion include a person walking on a moving train, a car passing another car on the highway, and a bird flying in the wind. In each of these situations, the motion of one object is affected by the motion of another object.