1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with a SDOF system, spring and base?

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f2sxQnk.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Maybe the step response equation?
    XIVzJAw.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really understand the difference between a and b, but he said part a was supposed to be quite easy. Is a just:
    mx'' = -k(x-y) - c(x' - y')
    or something along those lines? where x represents the displacement of the seat, and y the displacement of the base, so y' = 4cm? or y = 4cm?

Using F0= k * 0.04, and plugging the values into the step response equation, with zeta = c/2m*ωn, and ωn = √ (k/m), and ωd= √(1-ζ2n, I got the graph at the bottom (I think), which makes me assume it's right, without much idea what I put for b. When it says 'develop', does this mean derive the step-response equation? Or just plug in the variables?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like you have the right equation for part a.

For part b you should input a step into y(t) at t=0 and solve the diff. equation for x(t). I would use the Laplace transform if you're familiar with it, otherwise you'd have to grind out the classical diff. eq.

I don't know if your "step response equation" is correct. It looks plausible. I would start from scratch rather than use it unless you get a strong indication that that's what's expected of you. What would you do with the tau in it?

4. Mar 11, 2014 #3
    oh sorry, (t - tau) would just be t, taking tau=o as the moment that it steps

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. Mar 11, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, so how about F0? You don't know what that value is ...

Again, I suggest working with your part a equation.
    I would let x=0 and y=0 when t<0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted