1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with calculating the range of error accleration

1. Jun 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Motion on an Incline. I did an experiment where I measured the acceleration of a cart rolling down an inclined plane using 5 different angles and comparing them to those predicted in Newton's 2nd law of motion.

I am trying to figure out the equation I can use to find the [tex]\Delta[/tex]a using the average deviation in the time as [tex]\Delta[/tex]t. I am treating d (the displacement of the car I used in the experiment) as an exact measurement.

2. Relevant equations
    I used d = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]at^2 in a previous experiment and solving for a again would yield me a = [tex]\frac{2d}{t^2}[/tex]. I figured I could use this same derivation to solve for [tex]\Delta[/tex]a which may or may not be my problem.

I also know by Newton's 2nd law that [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]= m[tex]\bar{a}[/tex] and that that a = g sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried the range of error for a = [tex]\frac{2d}{t^2}[/tex] coming out with :
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]a = 2[tex]\Delta[/tex]d/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t^2 but this dosn't seem right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2009 #2
    After some more fiddling I came up with a new equation for [tex]\Delta[/tex]a being:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]a = a([tex]\frac{\Delta d}{d}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{2\Delta t}{t}[/tex])

Would this be the correct formula?

4. Jun 20, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that's right.

p.s. welcome to Physics Forums.

5. Jun 20, 2009 #4
    Thanks a lot,one more question. When I am doing these graphs it asks me to plot acceleration as a function of mass and another graph of my experimental acceleration as a function of sin. This means that my x axis for both of these should be my acceleration and my y axis the dependent variable of sin or mass in each different graph correct?

6. Jun 20, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By convention, we usually graph y as a function of x. So a would be along the y-axis in both cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook