Help with calculating the range of error accleration

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment measuring the acceleration of a cart rolling down an inclined plane and comparing it to Newton's 2nd law of motion. The individual is trying to find the equation for \Deltaa using the average deviation in time, and is considering using the equation \Deltaa = a(\frac{\Delta d}{d} + \frac{2\Delta t}{t}). They also discuss creating graphs of acceleration as a function of mass and as a function of sin. By convention, the y-axis would represent the dependent variable in both graphs.
Digitalx04

Homework Statement

Motion on an Incline. I did an experiment where I measured the acceleration of a cart rolling down an inclined plane using 5 different angles and comparing them to those predicted in Newton's 2nd law of motion.

I am trying to figure out the equation I can use to find the [tex]\Delta[/tex]a using the average deviation in the time as [tex]\Delta[/tex]t. I am treating d (the displacement of the car I used in the experiment) as an exact measurement.

Homework Equations

I used d = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]at^2 in a previous experiment and solving for a again would yield me a = [tex]\frac{2d}{t^2}[/tex]. I figured I could use this same derivation to solve for [tex]\Delta[/tex]a which may or may not be my problem.

I also know by Newton's 2nd law that [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]= m[tex]\bar{a}[/tex] and that that a = g sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the range of error for a = [tex]\frac{2d}{t^2}[/tex] coming out with :
[tex]\Delta[/tex]a = 2[tex]\Delta[/tex]d/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t^2 but this dosn't seem right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
After some more fiddling I came up with a new equation for [tex]\Delta[/tex]a being:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]a = a([tex]\frac{\Delta d}{d}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{2\Delta t}{t}[/tex])

Would this be the correct formula?

Yes, that's right.

p.s. welcome to Physics Forums.

Thanks a lot,one more question. When I am doing these graphs it asks me to plot acceleration as a function of mass and another graph of my experimental acceleration as a function of sin. This means that my x-axis for both of these should be my acceleration and my y-axis the dependent variable of sin or mass in each different graph correct?

By convention, we usually graph y as a function of x. So a would be along the y-axis in both cases.

1. What is the range of error acceleration?

The range of error acceleration refers to the possible margin of error in the calculated acceleration value. It takes into account the accuracy and precision of the data collected, as well as any potential sources of error in the measurement process.

2. How is the range of error acceleration calculated?

The range of error acceleration can be calculated by determining the difference between the measured acceleration value and the true acceleration value. This can be done by comparing the data to a known standard or by using statistical methods to assess the variability in the measurements.

3. What factors can contribute to the range of error acceleration?

There are several factors that can contribute to the range of error acceleration, including the sensitivity of the measurement instrument, the precision of the data collection process, and any external influences or disturbances that may affect the acceleration readings.

4. How can the range of error acceleration be reduced?

To reduce the range of error acceleration, it is important to use high-quality and properly calibrated measuring instruments, carefully control external factors, and take multiple measurements to account for any variability in the data. It is also important to follow proper measurement techniques and protocols to minimize errors in the data collection process.

5. Why is it important to consider the range of error acceleration?

Considering the range of error acceleration is crucial in ensuring the accuracy and reliability of scientific experiments and data analysis. It allows for a better understanding of the limitations and uncertainties in the data, and helps to avoid drawing incorrect conclusions based on inaccurate measurements.