Help with constant acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a physics problem involving a jumbo jet needing to reach a certain speed on a limited runway. They are discussing which formula to use and what information is needed to solve for acceleration.
petal5
I've just started studying physics and I'm having difficulty with this problem.

A jumbo jet must reach a speed of 360km/hr on the runway in order to take off.What is the smallest constant acceleration needed for the jet to take off from a 1.80km runway?

I'd appreciate some help getting started!

Physics news on Phys.org
The plane needs to start at rest and leave a runway of a certain length at 360 kmph. It needs to accelarate, but it's got limited space to do so. So, you're given the initial and final velocities, the distance, and you need to find the accelaration. What kinematical formula connects all these quantites?

Thanks for answering!I'm still a bit confused.Do I need to work out time in order to use the formula?

Why not try listing the formulas you have for constant acceleration, as well as a list of what you know. Use the formula that contains your knowns + acceleration and solve for a.

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes by the same amount over a given time interval. It means that the object's speed is increasing or decreasing at a steady rate.

2. How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Constant acceleration refers to a scenario where the acceleration remains the same throughout the entire motion, while uniform motion refers to a scenario where the object's velocity remains constant. In other words, constant acceleration involves a change in velocity, while uniform motion involves a constant velocity.

4. What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of constant acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a ball rolling down a hill, and a rocket launching into space. In each case, the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate over time.

5. How does constant acceleration affect an object's motion?

Constant acceleration causes an object's motion to change in a predictable way. As the acceleration remains constant, the object's velocity increases or decreases by the same amount over equal intervals of time. This results in a smooth, linear change in motion.