Help with deciding on undergraduate college

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between attending Ohio State University and the University of Michigan for a major in physics with the intention of going to graduate school. While Michigan's physics program is considered better, it comes at a higher cost compared to OSU. The speaker suggests that the choice of university may not have a significant impact on graduate school chances, and that it ultimately depends on the individual's opportunities and choices during their undergraduate studies. They also mention the possibility of financial aid or taking out a loan to attend Michigan. It is noted that Michigan State also has a good graduate program in physics, but the focus is on the current decision for undergraduate studies.
lostkid99
So at this point, I have been accepted into both Ohio State University and the University of Michigan. I plan on majoring in physics and continuing on to grad school. I know that Michigan has a better physics program than OSU. The only problem is that Michigan will cost roughly $15000 more than OSU per year. So, I am wondering if the higher cost at Michigan is worth it to help get into a good graduate school? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
They're both rigorous undergraduate programs with opportunities for research onsite. I don't think your choice between these two schools will have any real impact on your grad school chances. What you do with the opportunities at each school will have far more of an impact than this choice between attending them.

mege said:
They're both rigorous undergraduate programs with opportunities for research onsite. I don't think your choice between these two schools will have any real impact on your grad school chances. What you do with the opportunities at each school will have far more of an impact than this choice between attending them.

Good point here, I agree. The choice is ultimately up to you. If you feel the that the physics program at one school is superior to the other, then you could possibly consider that alternative; however, since OSU is cheaper, I'd also take that into consideration. If you qualify for financial aid, that will help a lot, or taking out a loan to pay for University of Michigan.

I do hear that the graduate program for physics at Michigan State is pretty good, but for now you only have to worry about Undergrad.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate college?

When deciding on an undergraduate college, there are several factors that you should consider. These include the location, size of the college, academic programs offered, cost and financial aid, campus culture and community, and opportunities for internships and research.

2. How important is the reputation of a college?

The reputation of a college can be important, but it should not be the sole determining factor in your decision. It is important to consider the specific programs and opportunities offered at a college, as well as your personal fit and preferences.

3. Should I choose a college based on its ranking?

A college's ranking can be a helpful tool in your decision-making process, but it should not be the only factor. Rankings are based on certain criteria and may not necessarily reflect the right fit for you. It is important to research and visit colleges to get a better understanding of what they have to offer.

4. How can I find out about a college's academic programs and faculty?

You can find information about a college's academic programs and faculty on their website, through virtual tours and information sessions, and by speaking with current students and alumni. It is also helpful to look at the college's accreditation and rankings in specific academic areas.

5. Is it better to attend a large or small college?

The size of a college is a personal preference and can vary depending on your academic and social needs. Large colleges may offer more diverse academic programs and resources, while small colleges may offer a more intimate learning environment. It is important to consider what type of college will best support your academic and personal growth.