Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with definitions in linear algebra

1. Apr 28, 2007 #1
    Having a matrix, how can I know if the function the matrix is representing is:

a) Injective
    b) Bijective

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

say the map is L:V-->W

it is injective iff for all w in W, there is at most one v in with with L(v)=w

it is bijective if it is injective and surjective.

These are the definitions. If you're having trouble applying them to a specific problem, you should tell us what the exact problem is and what you've attempted (if anything) and then we can help more.

4. Apr 28, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you could look at the definitions of those words! Any function, from one set to another is call "injective" if and only if f(x)= f(y) implies x= y: in other words, different members of the domain are mapped to different members of the range. That does NOT imply "surjective"- that something is mapped to every member of the range. For linear transformations, represented by a matrix, injective means that the domain space is mapped one-to-one to a subspace of the range space: that the rank of the matrix is equal to the dimension of the domain space, not necessairily the dimension of the range space.

In order to be "bijective" a mapping must be both injective and surjective: "one-to-one" and "onto". For a linear transformation represented by a matrix, that means it must be n by n for some positive integer n and have rank n.

5. Apr 28, 2007 #4
    Thanks by your replies

If I understood well, any matrix with non-zero determinant will be bijective, right?

I don't quite get what you mean by domain space and range space. I know what a vector space is. Is it related to it?

Thanks

6. Apr 29, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If f:A-->B is a function, then A is called the domain and the subset f(A) of B is called the range. In the case where f is a linear map from one vector space to another, A is the domain space (or domain vector space) and f(A) is the range space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?