Help with density measuring device

In summary, the student is trying to measure the density of a multilayer object. He is thinking about using an accelerometer or a pressure sensor to achieve that.
stregoi
Hi every one i hope someone can give me an idea how to achieve that. I am working for at school project, where i am trying to build a device that measure density of a multilayer object/enviroment. I am thinking to achieve that by measuring the axial force exerced while pushig the device inside the multilayer object.
But how exactly to do that, and what sensors i have to use - i can't really figure that out.
any one can help ?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 559
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Isn't it part of the project that you are supposed to figure that stuff out?
You should start by being specific about what you want to measure ... do you want an overall density (i.e. total mass divided by total volume?) or do you want to know the density of the layers individually or do you just want something like a layer density (number of layers per unit length) or something else?
The you need to think about how the kind of density you want to measure affects the action you propose to use to measure it ... how do the layers resist the rod pushing through them?

YOu should also be prepared to abandon approaches that don't work well, or where you have too much trouble getting them to work right.

If you push the pin at a fixed rate while recording the pressure needed to advance you will get a depth profile of resistance to penetration of the material.
What is the layered material?
What is the dimension of the problem, pin diameter? and layer thickness?
Do the layers always increase in “density” with depth, or are some less dense than earlier ones?
What shape is the end of the pin; flat, spherical or pointed?
Will the pin push material on the flat end?
How will you avoid friction between the side of the pin and the material?
Will the layers flow or fold back again after penetration?
Might you be better using a ball on a thinner pin to avoid friction?

Hey guys thanks a lot for the answer, really appreciate it .. i was thinking about my project and i redesignet it, to be more specific ( hopefully making it easy for my self to achieve )
I am trying to monitor, the accelerating of a handdrill, while drilling ( and thus being able to register the slip when the drill go through the other edge of the wood panel ).
I was thinking about using an accelerometer as a sensor to achieve that ? or a pressure sensor ? but is it precise enough to do the job, any idea og suggestion how to achieve that the best way ?.

sounds like something you could do ... but you still suffer from lack of detail: what do you want to achieve? I.e. why not just detect the drill penetration by looking at it, you know, the normal way?

What is a density measuring device?

A density measuring device is a scientific instrument used to measure the density of a substance. It typically consists of a container, a scale, and a method for accurately measuring the volume of the substance.

How does a density measuring device work?

A density measuring device works by determining the mass and volume of a substance and then using that information to calculate the density. The substance is placed on the scale to measure its mass, and then the volume is measured using the container and a known volume measurement method.

What units are used to measure density?

Density is typically measured in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) in the metric system or grams per milliliter (g/mL) in the SI system. Other common units include kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3) and pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3).

What factors can affect the accuracy of a density measuring device?

The accuracy of a density measuring device can be affected by several factors, including the precision of the scale, the accuracy of the volume measurement method, temperature, and atmospheric pressure. It is important to calibrate the device regularly and use it in a controlled environment for accurate results.

What are some common applications of density measuring devices?

Density measuring devices are used in a variety of industries and scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, geology, and engineering. They are commonly used to determine the purity of substances, to identify unknown materials, and to monitor the quality of products in manufacturing processes.