Measuring flow rate (Doppler device)

In summary, the flow meter is not submerged completely in the wastewater and then they put an obstacle at the end of the pipe at the bottom so that the water level is higher and the flow meter is submerged in the wastewater. It is correct to measure the flow rates this way. To calculate the flow in this blocked pipe, you need to know the radius of the pipe and the speed of the liquid.
mpotocni
Hello,
I am new in this field, so maybe my questions will be stupid :) sorry for that :)

In the company where I work, they measure flow rates of wastewater using Flow meter (Doppler device). The problem is, that the flow rate is very low, so this device is not submerged completely in the wastewater.

Then they put some obstacle at the end of the pipe, that the water level is higher and that this flow meter is submerged in the wastewater.

Is it correct to measure the flow rates this way?

Does anybody know how to calculate the flow in this circular pipe with obstacle at the bottom of the pipe (the pipe is half closed from the bottom up)? Is it even possible?

Does anybody know how to test this flow meter easily on-site, if it shows results correctly? It is not possible to get there huge testing maschines.

Thank you very much for help! And sorry for my bad english.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
mpotocni said:
Hello,
I am new in this field, so maybe my questions will be stupid :) sorry for that :)
There are no stupid questions ... except maybe the one about the custard, but that's a trick.

In the company where I work, they measure flow rates of wastewater using Flow meter (Doppler device). The problem is, that the flow rate is very low, so this device is not submerged completely in the wastewater.

Then they put some obstacle at the end of the pipe, that the water level is higher and that this flow meter is submerged in the wastewater.

Is it correct to measure the flow rates this way?
As long as the meter is in the flow, yes.
If I understand that correctly, water can still flow out of the pipe, it's just that the exit is partially blocked.
The water will flow faster through the smaller opening, but the volume flow rate will be the same.

Does anybody know how to calculate the flow in this circular pipe with obstacle at the bottom of the pipe (the pipe is half closed from the bottom up)? Is it even possible?
Yes, and yes.

Does anybody know how to test this flow meter easily on-site, if it shows results correctly? It is not possible to get there huge testing maschines.
Better to test the meter's performance in an experiment rather than in the field.
Get a long pipe - put the meter in it - pour water down the pipe at a constant rate.
You can time how long it takes for 1 litre of water to come out the other side (use a litre jug) ... compare with what the meter says.

Thank you very much for help! And sorry for my bad english.
Your English is fine, don't worry.

Thank you very much for answer.
If we can calculate the flow in this blocked pipe, how can we do it?
Can you (or someone) please give me some link to equations or example? I tried to search, but didn't find any similar case.
The pipe shape should be circular.

Thank you for help!

Easy: the equation is "flow out = flow in". The volume flow rate is given by ##\phi = V/T## where V is the volume passing a position in time T.
The mass flow rate is ##\Phi = \rho\phi## where ##\rho## is the density of the liquid.

You need to say what parameters you want to do the calculation from.
For instance, the volume flow rate will be ##\phi = \pi r^2 v## for a liquid flowing at speed v through a circular crossection pipe with inner radius r.
If the pipe is blocked so the opening in a smaller area ##A##, then the liquid escapes with speed u given by ##R^2v = Au##.

More generally see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html

Simon, thank you for your answer! I hope that we will calculate properly now. If problems occur, I will ask for help again.

Bye!

What is a Doppler device and how does it measure flow rate?

A Doppler device is a type of medical equipment that uses ultrasound waves to measure the flow rate of blood or other fluids in the body. The device emits sound waves at a certain frequency, which bounce off moving blood cells and return to the device. Based on the changes in frequency of the returning waves, the device can calculate the speed and direction of the fluid, and therefore determine the flow rate.

What are the benefits of using a Doppler device to measure flow rate?

Compared to other methods of measuring flow rate, such as invasive procedures or manual calculations, Doppler devices are non-invasive, painless, and provide real-time results. They are also relatively easy to use and can be used in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, and even at home.

What are the limitations of Doppler devices in measuring flow rate?

Doppler devices may be less accurate in certain situations, such as when there is air or gas in the fluid being measured, or when the flow rate is very low. They also may not be able to measure flow in certain areas of the body, such as the lungs or digestive system, due to interference from other organs or structures.

Can Doppler devices measure flow rate in all types of fluids?

No, Doppler devices are specifically designed to measure the flow rate of fluids that contain moving particles, such as blood or urine. They may not be accurate in measuring the flow rate of fluids that do not contain particles, such as air or pure water.

Are there any risks or side effects associated with using Doppler devices to measure flow rate?

Doppler devices are considered safe and do not typically have any significant risks or side effects. However, as with any medical procedure, there is a small risk of infection or allergic reaction at the site where the device is used. It is important to follow proper hygiene and safety protocols when using a Doppler device.