Finding the slope of f(x)=x^3-2 at a general point

  • Thread starter Thread starter priscilla98
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
priscilla98
Messages
93
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the slope of the tangent to the graph of f (x) = x^3 - 2 at a general point Xo.

Homework Equations



lim = f (X1) - f (Xo)
X1 -> Xo -------------
X1 - Xo

The Attempt at a Solution




I can use the coordinates (2, 6)

lim = f (X1) - f (Xo)
X1 -> Xo -------------
X1 - Xo

= (x^3 -2) - (6)
--------------
x - 2

Am I going right with this? I would appreciate the help, thanks. And happy holidays.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Here I'll go through the process with you:

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

now your x here is [tex]x_0[/tex], so plugging in [tex]x_0[/tex] for x you get:

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{f(x_0+h)-f(x_0)}{h}[/tex]

since your [tex]f(x)=x^3-2[/tex] you can evaluate [tex]f(x_0+h)[/tex] and [tex]f(x_0)[/tex] by plugging them into the x value in the original function namely, [tex]f(x)= x^3-2[/tex].

plugging in [tex]f(x_0+h)[/tex] into the x value of[tex]f(x)=x^3-2[/tex] we get [tex]f(x_0+h) = h^3+3h^2x_0+3h{x^2}_0+{x_0}^3-2[/tex].

Plugging in [tex]f(x_0)[/tex] we get [tex]{x^3}_0-2[/tex] so our limit now looks like this:

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{(h^3+3h^2x_0+3h{x^2}_0+{x_0}^3-2)-({x^3}_0-2)}{h}[/tex] you will notice that the [tex]2[/tex] and the [tex]{x^3}_0[/tex] cancel out and your left with
[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} \frac{(h^3+3h^2x_0+3h{x^2}_0)}{h}[/tex] factoring out the h and dividing you end up with:

[tex]\lim_{h \to 0} {(h^2+3hx_0+3{x^2}_0)}[/tex] and evaluating the limit you get that derivative at any point [tex]x_0[/tex] is

[tex]= 3{x_0}^2[/tex]

I'm sorry if I misread the question, this is how I interpreted it.
 
Last edited:


No it's okay, thanks a lot for this. I'm usually confused with derivatives sometimes.

But thanks and happy holidays