Help with doppler problem thanks

In summary, a student running towards the closed end of a hall while holding a vibrating tuning fork with a frequency of 512Hz hears 8 beats per second when the sound is reflected back to them. Using the equation f' = f [(v +/- vo)/(v +/- vs)], they attempted to calculate the speed of the student but received a different answer from their teacher. However, they were using the wrong equation and missing factors, such as the frequency difference being 8 Hz and the student's speed being equal to that of the reflected sound. The situation can be thought of as a student running towards a mirror, with the same principles as two students running towards each other.
kle89
A student runs toward the closed end of a hall while holding a vibrating tuning fork. The tuning fork is vibrating at 512Hz. The sound is reflected from the end of the hall back to the running student where 8.0 beats per second can be heard. Determind the speed of the student.

i used the equation f' = f [(v +/- vo)/(v +/- vs)]

8 = 512 [(343 +/- 0)/(343 +/- vs)]

and tried solving for vs to get the speed of the student, however the answer i got differed from what the teacher gave us, which was 2.6 m/s. I got 21609. Am i using the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
8 beats per second means that the difference in frequencies is 8 Hz

You are doing one thing very wrong. 8 beats per minute is not f'. Its the frequency difference between f and f'. So put f'=512+8. There is also a factor of two missing. Its not a doppler problem between a moving observer and a static receiver. So vo should not be zero. In fact, vo should be -vs. The picture you should have is a student running towards a mirror. Its the same as though you had two students running towards each other. I'm sorry if this is confusing - its confusing for me as well, but I don't know how to explain it better.

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon that occurs when there is a change in frequency or wavelength of a wave due to the relative motion between the source of the wave and the observer.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect sound waves?

The Doppler effect can cause a shift in the perceived pitch of sound waves. If the source of the sound is moving towards the observer, the frequency will appear higher, and if the source is moving away, the frequency will appear lower.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Doppler effect?

The formula for calculating the Doppler effect is: f' = f(v + vr)/ (v + vs), where f' is the observed frequency, f is the emitted frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vr is the relative velocity of the source, and vs is the relative velocity of the observer.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in real life?

The Doppler effect is used in various applications, such as weather forecasting, radar technology, and medical imaging. It is also used in astronomy to determine the speed and direction of celestial objects.

5. How can I solve a Doppler problem?

To solve a Doppler problem, you need to identify the variables given in the problem, understand the direction of motion of the source and observer, and use the appropriate formula to calculate the observed frequency. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct signs (+/-) for relative velocities.