Waves ~ HELP one Simple problem Thanks

In summary, the conversation is about the index of refraction and conditions for a phase change. The participants discuss the angle of the sun, researching on their own, and conducting experiments to understand the concept. One participant jokingly comments on the behavior of others in the forum.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] Waves ~~~~~ HELP one Simple problem! Thanks!

1. Homework Statement .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of the index of refraction of the two media. What are the conditions for a phase change?

Do you have a textbook?

OK, I think I get it. The sunlight reflected from the outer surface is reflected downward to the ground outside. If one sees a bright spot illuminated by the sun and the reflection, that would indicate contructive interference, which would imply 'in phase'.

Well, that depends on the angle. In a window, some light is transmitted, and some light is reflected.

I would suggest that tomorrow or as soon as possible, find a pane of glass and look at the reflection and transmission as a function of angle to the sun, or do so with a window.

Or use a bright flashlight.

If one wishes to be a scientist, take the initiative and do an experiment.

I guess I'm trying to have you determine the answer without giving it to you.

Is there any reason that the reflection would be inverted, i.e. the reflected E/B fields would be inverted?

I'm not giving you the answer. Just do your best. Cheers.

okay thank you for the help

Another first for me in the forum. Astronuc has gone crazy, talking to himself and hage567 is trying to pacify him. olgranpappy is fed up and sad and refuses to give any answer. Ultimately, physicsbhelp thanks all of them for their behaviours!

There has to be some rule where the OP can't vanish from a thread without leaving at least his original post. I recently encountered another similar one, where the thanking had been done in the first post (after editing), but there the question was at least there in some form in the replies.

that is hilarious.

[edit: LOL]

1. What are waves?

Waves are disturbances that travel through a medium, transferring energy without permanently displacing the medium itself.

2. How are waves classified?

Waves can be classified as mechanical or electromagnetic, transverse or longitudinal, and periodic or non-periodic.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

4. What is the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave depends on the properties of the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light, while mechanical waves travel at different speeds depending on the medium.

5. How do waves interact with each other?

Waves can interact with each other in different ways, including interference, diffraction, and reflection. These interactions can result in changes in the amplitude, frequency, or direction of the waves.