Help with drawing free-body diagrams?

In summary: Friction impedes the motion, if the friction is less than the force you are applying, it will accelerate, if more than it will stand still, and if same it will either stay still or move at a constant velocity, because of Newtons First Law, correct?
NickR

Homework Statement

Bobo decides to go skydiving. When he jumps from the plane, his mass combines with the mass of his chute is 75.4kg, which means that the force of gravity on him is 739N.
A. Before he opens the chute, the wind resistance on Bobo gives him an upward force of 10N. Draw a force diagram that represents Bobo as he begins to dive.
B.After he opens his chute, the force of the wind exactly balances the Fg on him. Draw a force diagram that represents this part of Bobos dive.

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I drew it with 10N of force going upward.

B. I drew it with 10N of force going upward and downward.

I feel like this is wrong..

Also, how does friction affect a freebody diagram? How much it pushes against the table? I don't get it...

Physics news on Phys.org
NickR said:

Homework Statement

Bobo decides to go skydiving. When he jumps from the plane, his mass combines with the mass of his chute is 75.4kg, which means that the force of gravity on him is 739N.
A. Before he opens the chute, the wind resistance on Bobo gives him an upward force of 10N. Draw a force diagram that represents Bobo as he begins to dive.
B.After he opens his chute, the force of the wind exactly balances the Fg on him. Draw a force diagram that represents this part of Bobos dive.

Homework Equations

None?

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, Nick, welcome to these forums!
A. I drew it with 10N of force going upward.
That's the wind resistance force...what other force acts downward on him?
B. I drew it with 10N of force going upward and downward.

I feel like this is wrong..
yes it is wrong. The wind resistance force has the same magnitude as the other force acting on him. What is the other force? (Hint, the problem designates it as Fg).
Also, how does friction affect a freebody diagram? How much it pushes against the table? I don't get it...
If you push an object horizontally along a level table by applying a horizontal force of say 5N, and say it does not move, what force prevents it from moving, and what is the direction of that force, and how much is that force?

PhanthomJay said:
Hi, Nick, welcome to these forums!That's the wind resistance force...what other force acts downward on him? yes it is wrong. The wind resistance force has the same magnitude as the other force acting on him. What is the other force? (Hint, the problem designates it as Fg). If you push an object horizontally along a level table by applying a horizontal force of say 5N, and say it does not move, what force prevents it from moving, and what is the direction of that force, and how much is that force?

Gravity?

Friction impedes the motion, if the friction is less than the force you are applying, it will accelerate, if more than it will stand still, and if same it will either stay still or move at a constant velocity, because of Newtons First Law, correct?

What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a simplified representation of an object or system, showing all the forces acting on it. It helps to visualize and analyze the forces involved in motion or equilibrium.

Why is it important to draw free-body diagrams?

Free-body diagrams are important because they help to understand and solve problems involving forces. By visualizing all the forces acting on an object, we can determine the net force and predict the motion of the object.

What are the steps to drawing a free-body diagram?

The steps to drawing a free-body diagram are:

1. Identify the object or system of interest.
  2. Draw the object as a simple shape, with arrows indicating the direction and magnitude of all the forces acting on it.
  3. Label each force with its name and direction.
  4. Choose a coordinate system and label the axes.
  5. Include any other relevant information, such as the mass of the object or the surface it is on.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when drawing free-body diagrams?

Common mistakes to avoid when drawing free-body diagrams include:

• Forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object.
  • Using incorrect or inconsistent arrow lengths to represent force magnitude.
  • Confusing the direction of a force with its component in a certain direction.
  • Not labeling the forces or axes correctly.

How can I improve my skills in drawing free-body diagrams?

To improve your skills in drawing free-body diagrams, you can:

• Practice drawing diagrams for different scenarios and types of forces.
  • Double-check your diagrams for accuracy and completeness.
  • Review the steps for drawing free-body diagrams and make sure you understand each one.
  • Seek help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources for any concepts you are struggling with.