1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Electric Field on a Square Insulating Sheet?

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A square insulating sheet whose sides have length L is held horizontally. The sheet has a charge of Q spread uniformly over its area.

a) Estimate the electric field at a point located a distance r_2 above the center of the sheet. Use the appropriate approximations based on the fact that r_2 >> L.

2. Relevant equations

E * dA = Q_encl/epsilon_0

3. The attempt at a solution

The area of the square sheet is L^2, which can go into the equation above. From that, I know that the electric field for r_2 << L is E = Q /(2*epsilon_0*L^2), but I can't seem to figure out the field for r_2 >> L.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2011 #2
    From far away a sheet of paper looks like a spot or a point. The approximation I think they want is to treat the sheet of charge as a point charge? You got it from there?

4. Sep 18, 2011 #3
    Not quite. Do you mind explaining a little further?

5. Sep 18, 2011 #4
    If you are far from a sheet of charge it does not matter what the orientation of the sheet of charge is the electric field still points towards you. Far from a distribution of charge the charge distribution can be approximated as a point charge.

6. Sep 18, 2011 #5
    If you have any object that has a uniform charge density; as your sheet does, your object can be treated as a point particle if the radius is MUCH MUCH greater than the overall size of the initial object. That's what the r_2>>>L is telling you. You should know how to calculate the E-field for a point particle.

7. Sep 18, 2011 #6
    Oh okay, now I understand. Thank you for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook