How can I find the electric field above an infinite sheet?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
hockey
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A square insulating sheet 75.0cm on a side is held horizontally. The sheet has 7.40nC of charge spread uniformly over its area. Calculate the electric field at a point 0.240mm above the center of the sheet.

Homework Equations



[itex]\Phi[/itex] = 2EA
E = [itex]\sigma[/itex] / 2[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


With the formulas above I managed to find that [itex]\sigma[/itex] = 1.316 * 10^-8, but I do not know that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] represents or how to find it. I cannot find the electric field until epsilon has been found.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hockey said:

Homework Statement


A square insulating sheet 75.0cm on a side is held horizontally. The sheet has 7.40nC of charge spread uniformly over its area. Calculate the electric field at a point 0.240mm above the center of the sheet.

Homework Equations



[itex]\Phi[/itex] = 2EA
E = [itex]\sigma[/itex] / 2[itex]\epsilon[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


With the formulas above I managed to find that [itex]\sigma[/itex] = 1.316 * 10^-8, but I do not know that [itex]\epsilon[/itex] represents or how to find it. I cannot find the electric field until epsilon has been found.

[itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the dielectric constant of vacuum (usually written as ## \epsilon_0 ## ). It is a constant that you can look up.