1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with Euler's Method in Matlab

1. Nov 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well, I'm having problems with this script, I'm taking my first course on differential equations, and I am trying to write a script that approximates the values of the solution of a differential equation, and compares them to the exact solution using a table of values, it must also calculate the error, the problem is that I cannot make the table to appear using a column for each variable, instead, the values are spread horizontally and everything is pretty messed up, Its the first time I use Matlab and I might have a lot more mistakes, can anyone help me?

2. Relevant equations
    the equations are pretty simple, they are in the bottom of the script I wrote

3. The attempt at a solution
    this is what I wrote

function [t P] = Euler(t0,P0,L,N) % Nombrando la función y estableciendo los datos necesarios

Close all;
    h=L./N; % estableciendo tamaño de paso
    t=[]; P=[]; % t y P son vectores vacíos
    t(1)=t0+h;
    P(1)=P0+h.*f(t0, P0); % Estableciendo los primeros componentes de t y P

for n=1:N-1
    t(n+1)=t(n)+h;
    P(n+1)=P(n)+(h.*(f(t(n), P(n))));
    end

Paprox=P;
    Pexacta= SolucionExacta(t);
    error=abs(Pexacta-Paprox);

% Para imprimir la tabla

fprintf(' t Paproximada Pexacta error \n');
    fprintf('---------------------------------------------------------------------------------\n');
    fprintf( '%10.5f %10.5f %10.5f %10.5f', t ,Paprox, Pexacta, error);

% Para graficar

plot(t,P);
    hold on
    plot(t,Pexacta);
    figure;
    plot(t, error);

end
    function ret=f(t,P)%para insertar la ecuación diferencial que deseamos resolver por aproximación

ret=(0.0225.*P-(0.0003.*(P.^2)));
    end

function f=SolucionExacta(t) % Para establecer la solución aproximada y hacer comparación

f=(0.5625.*exp(0.0225.*t))./(0.015+(0.0075.*exp(0.0225.*t)));

end

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2010 #2
    The issue is you're printing arrays. You need to write your print statement in a loop, looping your values.

4. Nov 6, 2010 #3
    As viscousflow said you'll need a for loop to print the array. Might help to add a 'next line' command into your code \n

Here:

fprintf( '%10.5f %10.5f %10.5f %10.5f \n', t ,Paprox, Pexacta, error);

5. Nov 6, 2010 #4
    It worked!, thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?