1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with f ' (a) and tangent lines

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    I'm taking calculus online and I need help figuring out how to solve the following problem. My book and notes given from my teacher do not show how to solve problems like this and I keep ending up with answers that don't work. The question is;

Find f '(a) when f(t)=(3t+3)/(t+6)

I know I need to use the equation f '(a)= lim as h--> 0 of f(a+h)-f(a)/h

When I attempted this problem I kept getting zero in the denominator which i know is not correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2
    Once you have an expression with the difference quotient, you multiply things out and factor out an h in the numerator which cancels with the h in the denominator. Then you can let h = 0
    Also, make sure that (f(a+h)-f(a)) is all in the numerator.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  4. Jul 7, 2009 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have anything like the quotient rule to use to simplify this problem? It's fairly rare you want to calculate a derivative via the definition

5. Jul 7, 2009 #4
    Yeah, in practice you almost never calculate a derivative from first principles...Use product/quotient rule (you know what that is?)

6. Jul 7, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the derivative of f(x), at x= a, it defined as
    [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow h}\frac{f(a+h)- f(a)}{h}[/tex]
    and the denominator always goes to 0! But evaluating the limit is NOT just a matter of putting h= 0. Contrary to popular belief among students, the limit is NOT just a fancy way of talking about the value of the function!

If
    [tex]f(t)= \frac{3t+3}{t+6}[/tex]
    then
    [tex]f(a)= \frac{3a+3}{a+ 6}[/tex]
    and
    [tex]f(a+h)= \frac{3(a+h)+3}{a+ h+ 6}= \frac{3a+ 3h+ 3}{a+ h+ 6}[/tex]
    so
    [tex]f(a+h)- f(a)= \frac{3a+ 3h+ 3}{a+ h+ 6}- \frac{3a+3}{a+ 6}[/tex]
    To subtract those fractions, we need to get a common denominator by multiplying the numerator of the first fraction by a+ 6 and of the second fraction by a+h+ 6:
    [tex]f(a+h)- f(a)= \frac{(3a+3h+ 3)(a+6)}{(a+h+6)(a+6)}-\frac{(3a+3)(a+h+6)}{(a+h+6)(a+6)}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{((3a^2+3ah+3a+18+ 18h+ 18)- (3a^2+3a+ 3ah+3h+ 18a+ 18)}{(a+h+6)(a+6)}= \frac{18h}{(a+h+6)(a+ 6)}[/tex]
    so that when we divide by h we have an h in both numerator and denominator:
    [tex]\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}= \frac{18h}{(a+h+6)(a+ 6)h}[/tex]
    and, as long as h is not 0, we can cancel the h s.
    [tex]\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}= \frac{18}{(a+h+6)(a+ 6)}[/tex]
    and now we can let h= 0 without any problem:
    the limit is [itex]18/(a+6)^2[/itex].

I once taught a course called "Calculous for Business Administration and Economics" using a text that had been selected by the Business administartion department. The text had, on one page the "laws of limits":
    1) [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} (f(x)+ g(x))= \lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)+ lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)[/itex]

2) [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)g(x)= (lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x))(lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x))[/tex]

3) [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}= \frac{lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x)}{lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)}[/tex]
    as long as [itex]lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)[/itex] is not 0.

On the next page they define the derivative, completely ignoring the fact that, in that definition, the denominator always goes to 0 so those laws don't apply!

It is essential to have also this very important but often overlooked law: If, in some neighborhood of a, f(x)= g(x) for all x except possibly x=a, then [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x)= \lim_{x\rightarrow a} g(x)[/itex]. That makes it possible to cancel the h's and then take the limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook