1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with factor large numbers

1. Mar 30, 2010 #1
    I am 31 and just started back in Math. My first class is Intermediate Algebra. I am sloving equations that force me to factor large numbers. Not sure if this is a skill that I was supposed to rember from high school, but nevertheless it is taking me a long time to do so. Can anyone tell me what the rules are when factor large roots. For example

1. w + 14 = 1458 to the 4th root.

Thanks for any advice.

EG

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Factoring?

I'm not sure what your equation is. Is it this?
    [tex]w + 14 = \sqrt[4]{1458}[/tex]

Click on the equation I wrote to see the LaTeX script I wrote for this equation.

If that's the equation you want to solve, there is no factoring needed. All you have to do to solve for w is to add -14 to both sides of the equation.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3

Yes. How do you simplfy the square root?

5. Mar 30, 2010 #4

Mark44

That's a fourth root.
    Simplify it by finding all factors and seeing if any are to the fourth or higher power. For this problem, 1458 = 2 * 729 = 2 * 9 * 81 = 2 * 93 = 2 * 36

The last expression can also be written as 34 * 2 * 9 = 34 * 18

Now use the property of square roots, cube roots, fourth roots, etc. that says
    [tex]\sqrt[n]{ab} = \sqrt[n]{a}\sqrt[n]{b}[/tex]

For even roots (square root, fourth root, etc.) in the equation above, both a and b have to be nonnegative. For odd roots (cube root, fifth root, etc.) a and be can be any real numbers.

6. Mar 30, 2010 #5

I understand the rule but how you get to step two - 2 x 9 x 81

7. Mar 30, 2010 #6

Mark44

729 = 9 * 81. I used the concept I mentioned to you in another thread - if the sum of the digits of a number is 9 or a multiple of 9, the number is divisible by 9.

So 1458 = 2 * 729 = 2 * 9 * 81

8. Mar 30, 2010 #7

Thanks again both threads were a big help!!!

EG:approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook